just scored truckload of rabbit manure

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Looked on craig's list and there it was, 1/2 hour from my house. A huge truckload for $40.00. Sellers show rabbits and have a usual pick up, but someone baled on them this week. The woman said they use it, as is, in their vegetable and other gardens as it is not hot like chicken or horse manure. I need your expert advice on this. True? or not? She also said it won't have weed seeds, but oh, so, skeptical am I!
Also, someone has "construction straw hay bales" for free after a bike race that I can pick up tomorrow. Is this trouble or not? I'm trying not to trample my paths between my constantly walked vegetable rows.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Take that rabbit poo and run!! Gurl friend that is good stuff, and no it won't burn. The strawbales will work quite well for your paths as well. You must be livin right ...LOL

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I'll run as fast as a rabbit.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I really should start looking at craigslist-freecycle this summer...

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, so my truck is no longer full of it and maybe the smell will dissipate from the rest of the house as I had to park the truck in the garage overnite. Well, someone might have stolen that gold-brown stuff if I left it outside, if they were able to stand the whiff. Because I'm not quite ready for it, it was bagged and taken up the 35 stairs by my wonderful garden guys to a spare space. So, having just ordered my second Mantis tiller (old one was very old and I was tired of taking it for repair every month in the summer) and by the way, if you buy a replacement and send the old motor and some other parts back to Mantis, they will knock off $75 from the new price! So, the smell. When I put it in my veggie garden part, it will be tilled, therefore no smell.It's not the pellets that are offensive, it's the urine smell. When I spread it around the rest of my garden, should I cover it with my city compost (that I also get for free)? My DH is already complaining. I know - let him!
Thanks all of you.

Men! Whatca gonna do??? It's almost free, or you could mention your sudden interest in a HUGE very expensive diamond tennis bracelet??????? evil grin

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Wish I were interested in diamonds. That's too easy. So, do you think the smell will dissipate or should I cover with a 1" layer of compost? Overkill? (like a diamond bracelet)

It wouldn't hurt and would probably help absorb the odor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.