Favorite Gardening Tools

Amherst, NH

There are hundreds of newfangled gardening tools unveiled every year by well-meaning inventors. Which ones are useful and which are destined for the dumper?
Although not new I was wondering if DGers have an opinion about sod cutters. I need to remove about 350 Sq Ft of very healthy sod for conversion to planting beds and wonder if the $78/day rental fee is worth the $. I've missed the DG interaction for a few weeks now but school is getting tougher and requires more
time and work. I'm not quite dead yet, I just smell like it. Thanks for any input,
Dr. ZZ

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sodcutters are always worth it. I used to use that thing all day when I worked at the golf course edging cart paths.

Not sure about what new fangled tools you wanted reviews on. I can't live without my minishovel and Fiskars floral snips.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I agree that it's worth it. Trying it manually will really kill you. I have a tool that cuts sod but it's very tiring.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Sodcutters are awesome! I didn't realize, until after the fact, that they are available in differing widths. The first one I used was a 12" one, for a rather large project I did for my uncle. When I went to rent another one, at a different time, I was complaining about the 12" being to "small" the sales person told me they had them in 15" and 18", I rented the 18" for the other job I did, different Uncle...lol.

Garden tools...hands down, my hori hori knife, 2 gal watering can, and pruners.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

My opinion on if renting a sod cutter for a large area is worth it, yes no two ways about it. I have mentioned in another thread my fav tools are the Claw and stirrup hoe. I would also add as absolutely necessary a good metal file to sharpen shovels and other tools.

Amherst, NH

Thanks for the feedback on sod cutters, guys. My biggest concern is hitting rocks with it and damaging it, but I'm willing to risk it if it saves me a lot of time and sweat. I agree about the stirrup hoe, ngam. Also agree about a good mill bastard file to sharpen tools.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Hi, Doc! I'm not into any of the fancy "ergonomic" tools (yet - as I grow older, maybe!). "Here are a few of my favorite things ♪ ♫ ♪" . . .

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I would almost worry more about the rock that you hit with the sod cutter. The first sod cutter that I used made my pick up truck (when I had it) almost touch bed to tire. They are very solid, I would have to say weighing several hundred pounds, atleast. If you end up renting one that has a "self-propelled" ability, it might take you for a ride...I'm 6'1" and go about a hefty 250lbs, I went for a ride...after digging my heals in also! I don't have very "rocky" soil per se, so I can't really weigh in (pun intended) on what would happen if your soil was very rocky.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My favorite "tool" my kneeling pad, couldn't garden without it.

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

I don't really have any favorite tools, since I only really have a trowel with an adjustable handle (yes, that's what I use to dig all my planting holes) and some pruning shears... I just got my daughter a set of sand toys, and she seems to prefer the shovel to the rake :)

Another tool question: what do you think of those bulb planters? (tall handle, cylinder at the bottom to supposedly dig bulb-sized holes easily and without bending) Worth it, or just a gimmick?

Never worked for me with all the rocks and roots I deal with.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I love my soil scoop. I use it for about everything.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

This is the tool I use to plant bulbs. It works very well even in non-garden bed areas. With all the rocks and roots around here I agree with victor the cylinder type bulb planters just don't cut it. This was expensive but it is heavy duty and works well for me, a good gift certificate item which is how I got mine. :) http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/984798-product.html

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Jen, I was going to put my kneeling pad in the photo, then decided against it! I should have! I think next year I'm going to invest in one of these - after being in one position for a while, my legs and hips get stiff trying to stand up.

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sue-My dad loved his, I think he made his own, looks similar.

New Haven, CT(Zone 6a)

Aha! Glad to hear that White Flower Farm tool does the trick--I have a credit from them that expires next week, and don't feel like digging any holes this spring (my 17-month old daughter loves to dig in the dirt, but it's hard to do anything productive with her this year...), so maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get that tool!
Thanks!

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

This thing is my favorite hand tool. It is a great weeder and you can even use it to dig little holes for planting out sets. Not cheap, but mine is 10 years old and I sharpen the blade every year.

http://www.smithandhawken.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=prod540090p&categoryId=cat120313

I also love my small, skinny shovel called a "poacher's spade"

Thumbnail by daisygrrl
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Meg I used mine to naturalize daffs. It is heavy duty for wild areas.I hope it works as well for you, will be waiting to hear how you like it this fall. Good luck with your bulb planting.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

My very favorite gardening tool for Spring is a sturdy tablespoon. I can transplant young plants from their seedling mix without having the dirt fall away from the plant. A Tbs. is great for separating those multiple seedlings that are bonus plants from the nursery (such as basil). Often better than a knife and certainly better than a trowel. You'll find me on a rainy day running around the garden in my "slicka" with my Tbs. relocating those volunteer herbs, veggies and flowers into their proper place. My zadie (grandfather) gave me my first gardening tool...a Tbs..

I love my finger hoes (long and short handled) for weeding and pitching rows; both gifts. These are probably my most important purchased tools. I have Kangaroo gardening chaps with built in removable knee pads and giant pockets to stow seeds and cell phone while I plant. Don't know if these are made any more and they are not really "tools". When it's blistering outside I can wear light shorts, don the chaps, and remove them while I'm not kneeling, planting or come in from the garden. They hang in the vestibule when not in use.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey, I have a hand mattock that is a hoe on one side and a fork on the other. No weed can stand against this nor any small tree root! It is death to dandelions! Also great at taking out the renegade raspberry canes. I have two of them and last year I found a long handled one at a yard sale. This year, I found a triangle shaped hoe at another yard sale. I seem to find my best garden tools there. As you may note from this, I deal with a lot of weeds.
Martha

New Boston, NH

Some organization contacted me to join and they will send me tools etc to test critique etc the first thing they sent was gardening sissors multipurpose the are real neat and VERY handy .
Peter

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Laurel:
I, too, tried a spoon--found an old table fork worked even better. Helps to tease sprouts apart and is a perfect fit to lift seedlings out of 6-packs or 9-packs for planting.

I don't know if it is good or not. Bought it yesterday. DH said it is harder to work than it looks. Time will tell. I thought the video looked pretty good soooooo cha ching

https://www.buytheauger.com/index.asp

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I can't resist, my favorite gardening tool...and yes he's tired I work him like a dog! LOL

Thumbnail by pixie62560

What kind of dog?

Hee hee - good one, Celeste. Can't wait for mine to get old enough to help the old man out!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Sherrie, let's hear it for Billy Mays!

Laurel and Don - I have to agree with you, I seem to always fall back on my tablespoon and fork. I even have a pickle fork in my garden shed!

Well you work him like a dog is it a prissy poodle or a ruff and tough great dane?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

big tuff Bull Mastif!!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

My favorite garden tool stirring in the dirt his way. Good help when I can get him off his fields.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

And no weeds around him either Doc. I love baseball!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

From Johnny's Seeds this wire hoe is unlike any other. They do make them right and left handed. This was a prize find of a lifetime for me. It will go where no other hoe can go.

Thumbnail by docgipe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.