How do you stop the squirrels

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

I like Cannas but last year when we planted them, squirells would dig them up in a day and eat any sprouts they could find. Being smart they trained us to replant them, by sitting them outside our front door. Any ideas?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

No ideas but I'm lmao Those are some smart critters you got there! I thought they ate nuts? Maybe you should put out a squirrel feeder?

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

They are smart, robbed every birdfeeder we have. Jumped off the apple tree next door to break our sunflowers so they could eat them. Placed black walnuts in our mailbox and on the mirror of our car.. guess they want us to plant another one.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

OMG that is way too funny!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Smart squirrels!! LOL

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

How funny.. the squirrels around here have just discovered the acorns from the oak tree.. they now dig tiny holes in the grass looking for them.. took them several years to discover them.. we have some really dumb squirrels... they never even noticed the corn feeder we put out for them! I guess we are lucky.

Tammie

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

The squirrels are such a pest in my garden. They dig up any every bulb I plant, they in turn dig holes and plant walnuts. I have walnuts growing out of every poted plant I have. The only thing I have found that helps is chile pepper. I buy it in the big containers at sams club. I sprinkle it on the ground and in the pots. It works for a week or 2 then I have to re-sprinkle. I'v tried lots of commerical stuff you can buy and they didn't work at all. I have hear moth balls will also work.
I have given up on bird feeders, they squirrels empty them so soon as I fill them.
I don't want to hurt the squirrels just move them to the neighbors yard lol.
Linda

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

for our birdfeeders well found straight safflower isn't appealing to squirrels. I'll have to try chile.. maybe it will work to keep the rabbits out of my tulips too

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Linda, The squirrls will ingnore corn if the can get to the sunflower seeds so you can get a feeder something like this that they cannot get into. Hope this helps. BEV In these pics the dowel rod is gone but he pulls it down and it closes.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

You can get newer ones like this from Duncraft.com

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, he is so cute!

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Cute Ha,
cute until he digs up all your bulbs. lol. and this one looks nice and fat.
your feeder look like its the answer. I will check it out.
Thanks
Linda

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well, that's not a problem for me.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

He is well fed but I can`t help but notice he has a disappointed look on his face from not being able to raid the feeder. Too funny!

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.