cinnamon flowers

Port Charlotte, FL

Here is a better picture of the tree. The tree is in the understory of a larger gumbo limbo tree and seems to thrive there. It is really interesting how symbiotic relationships among plants can be sort of lucked onto when you go about planting things together without really knowing if they will either help or hurt each other. I planted the gumbo limbo in 2004 right after hurricane Charley and planted the cinnamon in its shadow the year after and they seem to have developed a relationship. It's like gardening is akin to arranging a marriage and hoping they will not soon wish for a divorce.

Thumbnail by bananaman
Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm buying a cinnamon tree from Logee's, it is supposed to be ready this summer sometime. I hope that mine looks half as good as yours. Tina

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

So that's a cinnamon!
Pretty cool, never saw one before. Thanks Banana

Port Charlotte, FL

I got this from a tropical fruit nursery in Ft. Myers called Echo that is a Christian outreach to poor in tropical and subtropical areas of the world to provide food producing plants and information on how to sustainably grow these plants. They have the greatest diversity of tropical plants (at increadibly reasonable prices) of anywhere I know. If interested, their web site is http://www.echonet.org. Good luck with your cinnamon Tina. Thanks for the feedback.

Thumbnail by bananaman

Echo Edibles is a great place!

This Miami nursery says the commercial growers cut back cinnamon trees twice a year, and the suckers are used for the bark. Expensive nursery, but good info on a LOT of fruits. They ship everywhere.

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/fruitproducts_c1.htm

LOL!! Go cut down your tree! haha

Port Charlotte, FL

Thanks for the link, Molamola. I'll bet you could grow some cinnamon more easily where you live. There has got to be a market for Cinnamomum zeylanicum since it is better than the cassia cinnamon, or so I have read. I doubt I have ever tasted true cinnamon, but maybe with a little luck. However, I am more interested in having a nice tree than a mutated bush. I will have to check out your link. Thanks

Keaau, HI

NO, so far you have not shown a cinnamom tree (Cinnamomum verum syn. C. zeylanicum). You have shown a cassia tree (Cinnamomum burmanii).

Not to fret, C. burmanii, is a commercial cinnamon source. C.verum does not produce fast enough to meet commercial demand; so commercial demanders will rarely see the real thing.

Aloha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.