Fences please.

North Augusta, ON

I'm thinking of a fence for one side of the yard. Something to define my gardens from the old garage next door. Not needed to keep critters in or out, just to highlight the plants.

Lets see those fences.

(Zone 4a)

Well this is my shorter fence that separate the yards - however I do like it cause it really has that old look to it! LOL!

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Zone 4a)

This is the same fence that continues to the back....

Thumbnail by DawnLL
North Augusta, ON

I like that, and it looks like it lets some light in too, another plus ^_^

(Zone 4a)

I don't know if it would let much in if you were on the other side but since that is where the sun shines for us - it is great!!! The clematis gets all the sun on this fence cause it faces the sun!!!

(Zone 4a)

Ok fine another LOL

Thumbnail by DawnLL
North Augusta, ON

I see what you mean, if the sun hit it at an angle it would shine through a bit maybe?

I'm noticing that when I look at my gardens I see the whole village behind them, I need something to focus the eye.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Photo of the area you want to fence??

North Augusta, ON

yup...coming right up. I have avoided taking pics looking toward the old garage, I take them looking up the length of the garden...picture the garage at the left.

Thumbnail by threegardeners
(Zone 4a)

Beautiful gardens!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW a beautiful garden 3gardners

What type of fence are you considering?

North Augusta, ON

Anything, I just need a "divider" between the garden and the rest of the world...LOL

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

...for such a short season both gardens are beautiful! ☺

North Augusta, ON

Thank you!!

This is one of the front gardens. My favourite pic. of it ^_^

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW again that's fantastic. Have you seen the new "long view" thread.?

North Augusta, ON

I have seen that one. I need to get over there and post some pics.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Please do. We can all benefit from your beautiful garden layouts.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Just goes to show 'ya... threegardeners is better than one! lol! ☺

North Augusta, ON

(blush) Thank you!

(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous!!! What are those HUGE pink flowers? Also what are those whitish stems with pink on top? I like the look of those......

North Augusta, ON

The huge pink flowers in the front are Perennial hibiscus, the pink behind them is a tall Phlox. The whitish stems with pink on them are Rose Campion ^_^

Fences can go from homemade (using branches) to very, very expensive. What are you comfy with? Stockade fence? PVC ($$)? Willow? Willow is about $75 - $85 for 6 feet high by 15 feet wide.

North Augusta, ON

I can make almost anything work, I have access to a "junk collector" and he gets all kinds of materials he sells really cheap.

I thought about the PVC pipe with trellis attached, and a wood rail fence, and even a tiny picket fence...it only has to be a few feet high.

I just need pictures for inspiration!!

North Augusta, ON

I went and snapped a shot of the long bed in question. When the flowers come up I find myself looking beyond them instead of focusing on them.

Know what I mean?

Oh yeah! Sure only a few feet high is enough??

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a front entry fence we have been working on since last Spring. A little lumber, a lot of sticks and sisal. It's taking some time because we are also ringing the veggie garden with sticks (and we're only there part time). The posts are not capped yet but I'm thinking assorted homemade birdhouses. We want that Southern yard art thing going. I was going to do a bottle tree, but we already have folks leaving those little pamphlets on the gate. IMO they'd be doing double time up the driveway if we lined the fences with bottles!

Last year we had cardinal vines covering the main entry and tall zinnias flanking the sides. It has been extended with a climbing rose for the arbor part, wild roses to the sides (they were there) and raised beds with found river rock.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

That is beautiful!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That's just right Love the use of natueral armatures. Somehow PVC doesn't giv me a thrill.

North Augusta, ON

I like it, what a beautiful natural looking fence. looks just like it belongs there.

Thanks. I think there are pictures of the stick garden fences, but just need to go through all these photos now that I'm learning how to share. They're much more interesting when things are up and going.

I'll post as I figure it out. We are definitely going biodegradable. Last year we tied everything in harvested wisteria vines.
Laurel

Very nice, Laurel! I love the natural look too. That's why I've used willow fence to attach to chain-link.

Victor, I've not seen natural chain link. What's it made out of?

L

???

All-natural metal, I guess.

Funnin' ya Victor.

L

Knew that - hee hee. Here's the willow fence.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

So does that mean your neighbor that's looking at your "all natural" chain metal doesn't speak to you?

You got it!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Laurel, love that fence! We have boring old chain link, I was thinking of doing the same thing as Victor with the willow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.