Alstroemerias coming up variegated?!?

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

I posted this question in the lily forum and they sent me here.

I've got two Alstroemerias that are coming up variegated this year, and I have no idea why. Could it be a soil deficiency? Illness? Too damp? They actually look very pretty that way, but if there's a problem, I'd like to fix it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Winnetka, IL

There is a variegated cultivar... do yours look like this?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78519/

I guess a picture would have been helpful, huh? :) It's dark now, so I'll have to take a picture tomorrow.
No, not quite like that. That's very pretty by the way.
I should have mentioned that this is their 3rd year and when I bought them they were not variegated.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, the variegated cultivar probably originally came to be as a sport of a non-variegated plant. I'm not sure how frequently sports like that occur in Alstroemerias but it's possible that's what's happening. It would be good to see a pic though in case it's a problem of some sort rather than a sport.

actually, the curious part is that they are two different cultivars.
I'll post a picture tomorrow

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

That does sound a bit suspicious, I wouldn't expect two different plants to come up with sports at the same time like that. Nothing's impossible of course, but it does make me suspect there's something else going on.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

They may be seedlings that grew from last years blooms and are coming up in the same clumps.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Sounds like virus. While it's true that plants can sometimes just "become variegated", but it's pretty far fetched that 2 different Alstromeria would be afflicted in the same year. I'd do a google search for Alstroeemeria and virus and see if it's possible, then find the vectors. They are usually aphids, and the viruses can cross genuses quite easily. Dahlias and daffodils are highly affected (puny growth), but a lot of other plants like Lilies (genus Lilium) can succumb quite quickly (get virused and die).

Suzy

Suzy, I think you're right. A friend said the same thing earlier yesterday and I did a google search to find that there are a few viruses associates with Alstroemerias (including tobacco mosaic).

Thanks much for everyone's insight!!

Are you going to pull them up, then? The only rerason I am pressing the issue is that the virus can spread to other things and kill or maim them, too.

Suzy

That's definitely the plan. I'd hate to see everything else go because of a virus.

Yes, the "lily" in your DG name really concerned me. If you have a million lilies, it could spell disaster. :))

Funny thing is, I really don't have many lilies! LOL!! Just those two Alstroemerias and some daylilies on the opposite side of the house. Now, brugs would be a different story!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If there's any chance it's tobacco mosaic virus I'd keep your brugs away--they're in the same family as tobacco so I assume they would be susceptible to TMV.

Oh, I'm very well aware of that, believe me.
Luckily, the brugs are in the back and the Alstroemreias are in the front.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.