Salvia collinsii

London, United Kingdom

Another new Salvia from Mexico. Though I have to say that I don't find it particularly impressive. A huge plant, late-winter flowering, away from frost. Tiny lilac-blue flowers, but so many of them. Nevertheless, a very interesting addition to the ever-increasing discovery of new species which have found their way to Europe.

Thumbnail by 2salvia
Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

What's not to like it has pink flowers:), great that so many new ones are in Europe, Go Robin:)

London, United Kingdom

Each to their own, I suppose! I was very excited to receive this Salvia, but was very disappointed with the tiny flowers, especially as the huge plant takes up too much space.
I had seen a picture of the plant in Mexico, where the flowers were much larger.....seems like I have an inferior form, or, more likely, don't know how to grow it!

I was going to suggest, Annette, that you may need an appointment with your optician, if you like this species, but as that would have been outrageously mean, and unkind, I decided not to!

BUT....this Salvia....well, mine for sure....is hardly garden-worthy.

Robin.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think the thing is that in your nice zoomed-in closeup, the flowers do look very pretty, so it's easy to ignore the part you put in about how tiny they were. I have some plants like that, they look wonderful when you do the closeup macro shot of the flowers, but in real life in the garden it's not nearly as nice.

Lucky you didnt suggest I need glasses than or I may have been offended;)

London, United Kingdom

White stick, maybe???? (Love you, really!!!)

Maybe I should just check into the Retirement Village and be done with it:)

It has very interesting looking folliage. I like the maroon shading on the leaves. Robin did the S. urticifolia seeds I sent you ever germinate. If not we can try again if you want, all 4 plants survived the winter.

London, United Kingdom

I think that the maroon shading is because the plant is struggling to survive! It is very pot-bound, and sudden, dramatic temperatures change may have caused this.

I can't remember who sent me the urticifolia seeds.....sure I thanked you, if it was you. But I don't recognise Beebe54! Yes 3 seeds eventually germinated, they were extremely slow, and even now they are only about a quarter of an inch tall, but the secondary leaves have appeared. I reckon that this is going to be a real challenge here, like other USA species, but I will give it a go. S. funerea and S. mohavensis germinate easily here, mohavensis never flowers, just dies, funerea has flowered, though had to get a microscope to see the flowers, then that died also! Will hope for better success with urticifolia. Any hints as to soil, temp., and sun requirements gratefully appreciated.

Robin.

Robin
Yes you did thank me. I got mine as plants from a nursery and they did grow kind of slow. I think they are going to do better the second year. Don't think I sent them to you thru this forum. I had contacted you to ask for information on another Salvia. You sent me some seeds and I later sent the urticifolia when it bloomed. Anyway, I kept them in pots last year, 3 in one large one and 1 by itself. cut them to the soil last fall covered them with leaves and moved them under a porch, all 3 survived the winter. The one by itself I brought inside and it did well on a sun porch, almost ready to bloom. I just kept them in sun, watered when needed and gave Miracle Grown one a month. They were not fussy. I am going to put the 3 in ground this year and see if they will still make it.
Nancy

This message was edited Apr 22, 2008 12:57 PM

I had 3 of 4 urticifolia plants that seem to have survived a mild winter in the ground. I may have to move them, they seem to be reaching for more light where I placed them in the garden. Can't wait to see the flowers!

Joseph

London, United Kingdom

Nancy, thanks for the info. I remember you now.

Candor, NC

Here is a scanned image from last year. Our drought and 100-degree August put a quick end to any blooming, then seed set. I hope to get some seed from Woodlanders of urticifolia, which I will forward to Robin, since I was supposed to send some last year and couldn't.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne

Woodlanders is where I purchased my plants from last spring. The one that I overwintered on my sun porch is already blooming.
Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.