What can I do?? I have powdery mildew on my Helleborus

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have never seen this before, have had Helleborus for years - now it is on 3 of my old plants. What to do?? Could it be that they are just snocked with the rain we got last week??

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi PJ,
I have 12 hellebores coming soon from the co-op. In the planting instructions on the payment thread flowrgirl1 wrote "Please check your plants to determine if any fungal problems have developed during shipment and treat with a good quality fungicide if necessary." So if you already have a fungicide, you can use that. I used neem oil on powdery mildew on my monarda last year. Seemed to keep it in check, but didn't eliminate it. Hope this helps.
Becky

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Becky, I can try that - I was just shocked to see it, these are such sturdy old plants and I thought they were pretty much resistant to any disease or pests, guess not fungus.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

For powdery mildew, if you get one of those products that is for roses that is a fungicide for them that for powdery mildew it works good for keeping it pretty well in check on the plants too.

Think the combination of rain and the hunidity temps at the time os what brought it about.

if you have any mulch under or aroudn the plants remove it and let the area dry out or the fungal spores will just fall from the plants to the ground and repeat the process.

best to cut back as many leaves as ya can stand and spray the rest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.