Kerria japonica

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Does anyone have experience with this shrub in deer infested areas? The leaves are a bit sharp edged and spiny and conatin a toxin so I'm hoping...

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Lady - nice to see you posting again. I have them and never had deer damage.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No deer here, rabbits ate on mine this winter.

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I went ahead and adopted one yesterday and will hit it with some Liquid Fence to give it a fighting chance. The deer ate daffodil flowers this year and Pachysandra and yucca and skip laurel and omg! It's so discouraging.
It's good to be back Victor. I've been here right along but have been working on more listening/reading and less talking/typing. Being still is a good thing sometimes.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I wish my deer would eat my Pachysandra.... can't get rid of that stuff

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I have had two Kerrias for five years and so far the deer have not bothered them. Unfortunately they have bothered a lot of other nearby plants!

Yes - same here, Don. Lady - even daffs?!! Never heard of that.

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

It bloomed profusely. It threw out lots of new growth. It filled in the area between Bittersweet vine and Monkshood vine to beautifully block out
my neighbor's driveway. It had 2 months of rip roaring success, and then...
THEY ATE IT!
Blasted Bambis!!!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm so sorry they ate it but glad you got 2 months out of it first!

Wow - that's a surprise. They never touched mine, though they have others to choose from. Sorry to hear that.

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh man that really stinks! So sorry for your loss I feel your pain I have lost a lost of plants already this year with the local wildlife. My Kerria is still pretty small and a few years away from blooming.

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Victor-you were surprised about the daffodils too. I'm telling you they have GANGS around here. I swear they wear armbands with their colors and I think I saw a few with tattoos. I've heard them calling each other by their street nicknames. They have major attitudes with no fear of man nor beast. Attached is a terribly blurry but telling photo of their fearlessness. The white tail up warning isn't even being displayed with my poochie pit bull Nina right up close and in her face. I want to call in the anti-violence comission before things get even uglier.

Thumbnail by LadyCleo

Wow - yes, you seem to have a different breed, Cleo! Still can't believe the daffs! Maybe yours do the opposite. They might ignore arborvitae, hostas and tulips.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I just saw this thread. It sounds like your herd has an affiliate gang up here in my area. If you notice the color of the day, please post because I want to be forewarned! Pretty soon the mamas will be training the next generation where the best eats are! I swear my husband has seen them eating dandelions in the backyard. I am planning to take out one of my small gardens next to the woods because I'm tired of chasing them off and finding they have browsed all my flowers down to nubs.

Maybe we can get Curtis Sliwa to come around and fight the local "gang", and while he's at it, take away the squirrel rivals.

- Lynn

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 9:28 AM

I saw a skinny small doe heading down the driveway this morning. Now the bird feeder out of all the types of birds has CROWS!

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Have any of you had a Kerria since it was small? I got mine a couple of months ago and it is starting to lean forward a bit. Wondering if I am going to have to stake it until it gets stronger.

Thanks
Mel

I had one from a relatively small size. It has a free, spreading kind of habit, so that sounds normal to me. As long as the main trunk is straight at ground level.

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you Victor. I was not sure and being so new to gardening I have had more than my share of plants almost topple over before I realized that I needed to stake them. Something is also starting to eat tiny holes into it too since it is so close to the ground. Do you know if Sevin is safe to use on it?

You should try to find out exactly what bug is at work. Look at different times of the day and look on the underside of the leaves. Chances are there is an organic remedy available. My approach is to 'go up the ladder' with solutions. Try the least toxic first and keep going if necessary. Sevin is very powerful and will kill good bugs too. Your local cooperative extension is a great source for pest and disease options. Take advantage of them - it's your tax dollars at work!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.