Help! small brown specks on my Passionate Blush Gaura

Kilgore, TX(Zone 8a)

I really like this plant a lot. I've had it for 2-3 wks. It never looked 100 percent when I got it. Right away I had to cut off a dead stem. Well today, I had to cut off another dead stem. As I was inspecting it, I noticed small brown specks on a lot of the leaves. I started to pick them off, but there's too many. Does anyone know what this is & what I can do to bring this plant to a great state of health? Comments appreciated! Michelle

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Gaura is notorious for aphids. They'll usually be lined up and down the stem of the plant. If you can pick those brown specks off, you're dealing with an insect - probably aphids. Spray with a mixture of soapy water - 2 tablespoons per gallon of water. You have to contact them, soak them. This will dessicate their bodies - they are very soft -bodied. Watch the plant closely and if you see any new aphids, repeat in about a week. Those little gals breed so fast that if you miss one, you'll get a buildup again soon.

Kilgore, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah they come off, but they leave a stain or mark, where they were. If it's alphids. Also, I can't tell if it's on stem, but definitely line up on leaves. I sprayed them soap mix & we'll see what happens! Thanks for your help. Michelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.