Erysimum, wall flowers

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I don't have a photo but I was wondering if any of you grow any of these. I have Bowles Mauve and another bright orange variety which is named but I don't remember the name. They are such power houses of bloom and color from very early here until late. The orange one I have is in full bloom here and doesn't get as large as Bowles Mauve but what a bloomer and the color is stunning. And they start fairly well from cuttings too.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have 'Bowles Mauve' as well as a couple CA native Erysimum species (E. concinnum, E. franciscanum). E. concinnum is my number 1 favorite, it has such gorgeous cream colored flowers. And 'Bowles Mauve' blooms pretty much nonstop so that of course makes it a favorite too! I had purchased 'John Codrington' at some point last year, but something happened to it over the summer before I got to planting it. I want to say I had 'Wenlock Beauty' at some point too, but I know I don't have it anymore so it must have died before it made it into the garden too.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Grrrr, I have waited a whole year to see the bloom, but they are so messy looking and aren't standing up straight. ..all flopped all over.

I posted a thread earlier about whether you are supposed to cut them back, and the answer was "try it with half and see". The definitive answer is NO! Don't do it! LOL! I only cut back half, and those are dead. The ones I didn't cut back are taking up too much real estate and even if they do bloom, won't be worth the amount of space they're taking up.

I'd like to know if anybody in the midwest grows them. Just a guess, but I don't think they like our climate here.

Suzy

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Erysimum x 'Turkish Delight' hasn't bloomed for me this year yet (we had a long, long winter), but here's how it looked in spring 2007.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

wow, June that is lovely. I will have to watch for Turkish delight. Ecrane, I had that John

Codrington too but lost it.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Ooh. Thanks for this thread. I transplanted a wallflower from a sick neighbor who could no longer take care of her yard. It was blooming in her yard a little and I fell in love with it. Don't have a clue what it is but the blooms are more orange/yellow. I transplanted it and worried and worried over it as it did not bloom again. As of right now it is blooming and has doubled in size. I had never heard of a wallflower before this and I just fell in love with it. It outshines everything in my garden right now it is so spectacular. I would love to get a different kind but have never seen any that I recall in the nurseries here. Have seen them online but so expensive. Your yellow ones are awesome June. Yellow being my favorite color. I am so glad to have others that enjoy this flower as well.

Leslie

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Dear lostintexas, try to find Bowles Mauve, it is a powerhouse and blooms forever it seems. I find a new gallon sized one at Walmart for $4.50. I am determined to find more varieties myself. I just love these workhorses in the garden. Joann

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

got a bunch of them....
er. bowles mauve

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

er. yellow... cant find the tag :P

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

er variagated

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

above was old pic of yellow jsut took this one

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

orange creeper... but camera made them yellow. actually a bright orange color :P

Thumbnail by shokami2
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

er. wenlock beauty....... very sturdy hardy little plant will update when blooms, whould in about a week or two. very pretty

Thumbnail by shokami2
Sugar Land, TX

I bought three plants of "Apricot Twist" suspecting that it wouldn't do well here in our heat. So far, it's blooming nicely, but I don't know if it will leave through the summer!

Jo

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

These are beautiful flowers! Why haven't I heard very much about them I wonder? Will Lowes and such carry them you think? I want one of each!!!

Tina

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

lol... ihave no idea what they will carry. you might want to call around to your "real" local nurseries and ask. sometimes they can order them for you. i have apricot twist too, but it didnt seem to do so well this winter. really punked out. so this one at least here might not be as hardy as the others. but i love them! the others ar really tough and smell wonderful. erysimums should do well in the heat, suppossed to be fairly drought tolerant once established.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Around here Lowes has them (mostly 'Bowles Mauve' and some orange ones that I never looked at the name of), but in your area I'm not sure if they would or not. There are some mail order places that have them, I know one of the ones I used to have I had gotten from Forest Farm and I'm sure there are a few other places too.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

These are terrific plants... Do they have a pink variety?

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

'Bowles Mauve' is the pinkest one I've seen...not to say I've seen all of them though!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

i have no idea if they have pink or not. that would be something to look into. would be cool though!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

check this out. There are 220 species of wall flowers.
Just started researching and found this one. Lots of bang for your
buck if I can find it... Next project...

edited; this one is called Erysimim Chelsea Jacket

This message was edited Apr 23, 2008 8:18 PM

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

a yellow one named Erysimum wittmanii ..nice

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

wow that chelsea one is very cool!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Let you know if I can find a place that sells it... I would like a few..
pretty!

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

One thing no one has mentioned in this thread is scent. Unfortunately some wallflowers like Bowles Mauve don't have any, but most of the wallflowers have an absolutely gorgeous strong scent. One of my absolute favourite plants.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I would love to find more varieties, my orange one I have discovered is called Apricot Twist. Anybody find a nursery in the states that sells these, I would love to know.

Beahive, have you checked out Wilco Farmers there in Silverton? They have great plant selection.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm a regular at Wilco... Love that store! Will check out the nursery tomorrow. They get neat new stuff all the time. I was just there Monday! I have spring fever bad!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are the vendors that are listed in Plant Scout as selling these http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/search.php?search_text=Erysimum&submit=Search And since there's only a small sub-set of mail order nurseries that advertise in Plant Scout, I imagine there are tons more out there too.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, ecrane, this is perfect.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

knip......... your b. mauve doesnt have scent? mine sure does, so does my yellow, wenlock beuaty and apricot twist. my yellow has the strongest of all of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.