Plant growth: heat vs light

Phoenix, AZ

I just can't find the ideal spot in my yard for my veggie garden. I thought it would get more sun than it actually is, although the sun does move from side to side during the day. Right now the plants are growing pretty slowly but I wonder if they will not appreciate the shade come July. And I'm curious if you think the heat - temps from 100 - 115, and sometimes even hotter - will promote growth? I'm talking about okra, peppers, beans (hopefully), tomatillos and plants that are considered hot weather plants. The area is prepped for shade cloth which I think may be necessary. Thoughts, please?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

okra and lima beans will thrive in that environment. Most common beans won't. Some hot peppers will, Bell peppers will not. (sunscald). I don't grow tomatillos, some one else will have to answer that.

Phoenix, AZ

I know from experience that the sweet bells don't like summer, shade or no. I will shade them just to keep them going till fall when they go to town and make great peppers.

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

If you try the Chinese long beans they should do well. They need a trellis. They seem to be happier the hotter it gets. I don't shade tomatillos. Alot of chiles grow in the heat and some of the italian "frying" peppers are sweet and will take the heat..

(Zone 7b)

In general, bush beans seem to do better in the heat for me than pole beans. I still really don't consider them a mid-summer crop, though. More of a late spring or fall crop. I'm close to the tail end of the time to start beans in Texas, maybe you could still try some too in your area if you sow asap. Dragon Tongue is a favorite of mine.

Agreed with others that bell peppers may not always do well in a hot zone, and that you might have more luck with italian frying types, chiles, etc.

I've not found tomatillos to be problematic, the plants seem to hold up and continue to set fruit in the heat, IME. They can occasionally be a magnet for spider mites, though.

I've been told zipper peas can be grown here in the summer from another gardener in my area. Yet unconfirmed based on my own personal experience, but I plan to try some in my garlic bed after I harvest it in May.

edited to add - yes, if you can set up some shade cloth, it would be helpful. Or plant somewhere where trees, buildings, or other structures will give your plants some relief from midday or afternoon sun.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2008 4:37 PM

Phoenix, AZ

Suze, I had one tomatillo last year in a big tub in sun. It grew like Topsy but made little marble size fruit. Do you have a secret to getting them to grow at least the size of a golf ball?

There is shade in this garden; it moves about as the sun tracks overhead and I'm trying to figure out what part gets the hottest sun. I have the structure ready for shadecloth as the heat ramps up. I think I'll quit fretting so much and just stick some beans, okra, eggplant (transplants), and some more peppers in. Thanks for the encouragement.

(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
Suze, I had one tomatillo last year in a big tub in sun. It grew like Topsy but made little marble size fruit. Do you have a secret to getting them to grow at least the size of a golf ball?

What variety were you growing? Were they perhaps ground cherries and not tomatillos?

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I have Toma Verde and don't know anything about them. If you have advice, I'm all ears. I was planning to grow them like peppers. Is that right?

Phoenix, AZ

Suze, I don't know the variety. I got last year's at one of our swaps and I got the two I have now from another DG member! One is purple and the other green, if that provides any helpful info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.