how about chermoya

Dahlonega, GA

thinking about getting one .are they self pollinating? good plants? any special qualities ?

Sarasota, FL

It's always best to have a 2nd tree for pollination. Even sugar apples would work. Atemoyas are crosses between the two. I've had sugar apples to flower and fruit 3rd year from seed. Cherimoya from seed may need another 3 years or so. I've always tried to hand pollinate them. My seedling atemoya's in it's 3rd season of flowering since spring. I'm moving potted sugar apples close to it. The flowers have a fruity/banana scent. You'll need to talk with the locals about freezes and sheltered areas to tuck in plants.
Pomegranates should do well there. Persimmons, Jujubes, maybe kiwi. Keep papaya plants around as first aid for wasp and bee stings. Juice from stems/flowers/fruit help deactivate venom if immediately applied. Works with jelly fish stings, too. If your area gets cold enough, you could grow olive trees, if you have enough land for all of this. Figs, too!

Dahlonega, GA

well, i went ahead and ordered plants from ebay . will transport to south tex to plant in ground this coming winter . i did order from two different growers . total , two plants . also got papaya, mangosteen , green guava. everything is beautiful , in pots. here at home , i have kiwi ,altho i think all i have is female . tiny blooms , no fruit .ordered from catalog . won't do that again . need to get male plants , mine are about ten years old and all i have is a nice arbor of vines i will take your advice and get sugar apples or atemoyas . have figs here and would love pomegranates.i have the room ,just getting too old to do much up keep . the tropicals are to be planted at my sons place in zone 9 to 10. i thank you so much for posting to me , i know nothing about tropicals, or what the different fruits taste like. i've gone crazy over mangos and am sprouting them . thanks again , sally

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.