Tobasco pepper "invader"

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I awoke to a new pest problem this morning. I have a tray of tobasco seedlings which are about 2 inches tall, but healthy looking except that the stems are covered with a tiny white creature resembling a mealy bug, which I sometimes have on my jade plants. Since these are young, I can't rub all of them off with a Q-tip and alcohol, and I'm not sure what kind of bug it is. I hope someone can help before I lose my favorite pepper for making hot sauce. I have removed it from the other trays before they invade my other peppers and seedlings. Please help!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you know what mealies look like, then that might be what you have. I haven't had them on my seedlings, so may not be much help... I have had white flies (tiny, and different from mealies because they will fly up a bit from the plant when disturbed) and aphids... I Dmailed you about trying a bit of insecticidal soap or dish soap, and Neem should be safe on seedlings also. With other treatments for mealy bugs, you might try it on just a couple of plants and wait until the next day to check for side effects before treating all of them.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I used some Safe brand soap on them and I think most of them are going to survive. Thank you!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good! I'm out of town today, but DH just reported that my own pepper seedling destroyer has been dealt with -- one mouse caught (finally!) and banished. He reset the traps in case there are more, but given the rate of munching, I'm guessing there was a single culprit. I've got maybe 1/3 as many peppers as I was hoping for... but at least now hopefully I'll have some!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I can imagine how disappointing that is after babying those things for so long! Now that I'm growing my own, I just don't want to go out and purchase pepper plants. It's not a financial thing--I just want the pleasure of knowing I grew them from seed.

Yesterday, since it is SO warm here now, I planted a few gypsies, tobascos, and Biker Billy outside. If they do okay, I will add more in a few days. I know it's a little early, but I needed the space inside. Actually, the Gypsy plants from the seeds you sent look better than any of them. I'm sorry about your plants, but your mice evidently have very good taste!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd be willing to fill in with purchased plants, but I can't find my favorite Gypsy and Carmen hybrids as plants around here... that's OK, we'll hopefully have at least a few for fresh eating, and we'll just have to grow extras next year to restock the pantry with pickled peppers etc. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.