Clematis today

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Another newbie I planted last fall has its first Blooms Clematis Vivienne "Beth Currie"..I got her from Jerome at Koi Garden Club

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

In my garden, this jewel shines today; 'Fireworks' (I think). :-) Hi Jeanne.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Getting doubles in my zone is iffy ...While Clematis "Josephine" seems to love to double in my gardens..Clematis "Proteus" drives me mad...I planted two of him in my gardens ..one with tons of sun and the other morning sun and afternoon shade in hopes of a double just somewhere!!..they are 4 years old now and while I enjoy their delicate lavendar colour..they do keep me hoping I'll see a double!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Goodmorning Lily!!..and what a beauty she is..
My Other Clematis "Proteus"..no double again..but I see I've got to get my husband to help me put cross wire above to extend him to grow sideways!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm Such an impatient clematis person...I want them to all be in year 3 and quickly..LOL...another I planted this year..while I know most doubles bloom on old vines from the previous year...here is Clematis "Franziska Maria"..Raymond Evison named this one after his youngest daughter...I can't wait to see this one produce doubles..HOPEFULLY!!..Please Clematis Gods let this one do doubles here in the South!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Had to share this with yall...I put this flowerbed in two years ago and planted clematis and roses in the center and flanked the perimeter with Daylilys...The Daylilys are just now sending up scapes on a few...Clematis "Voluceau" has been blooming for weeks now and "Galore" is filled up with buds and I spied one open this morning

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

See "Voluceau"..if you don't have her..please consider this wonderful Pruning group 3..I've found her quite vigorous in my gardens

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

And check out "Galore"!!..I was out there squealing with joy seeing all her buds..I guess no matter how long you grow clematis they are a joy from year to year..

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Snow Queen" is another of my favs..I have two of her and both are starting to bloom

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Dr. Ruppel" is another one that is fun..I have 3 of him..only because one I bought was mislabled...

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Another wonderful vigorous blooming pruning group 3 is Clematis "Mme Edouard Andre' "

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

4 year old Clematis "Niobe" she really is showing off this year..very slow to get established for me...how has this one done in your gardens?...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeanne,
From what I've observed from your posting. Most double blooming clematis will not yield their double until the vine is matured. Like fine wine? or us women, the older we become the better we get? lol.

Niobe I've one several years old. Still mistaken her to many others (until I change my way and getting labels for all those beauties), hasn't bloomed this season yet, so I'll post when she blooms this spring.

And yes, I realized that clematis beauties for the most part, isn't for the "I want it now" type of gardeners.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Jeanne, as usual your clems and gardens are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your beauties with us. They will hold me over until ours start. Mine are just now breaking ground.

I have Niobe and it too took maybe 4 years to really get going. Last year it went crazy so I'm anticipating another good year. I will post pics when it does bloom.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

And I forgot to show yall Clematis Florida "Sieboldii"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I love her look as the tepals are still closed exposing her gorgeous pom pom center

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeanne & Lily: Both your Clematis are gorgeous! You're so lucky that they are all ready blooming for you!

I've always had single blooms from "Proteus". It hasn't had a double flower yet.....maybe some day!

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I always enjoy your clematis. Thanks, Linda

(Zone 4a)

Wow some great photo's yet again....I am getting so excited to see mine do something special this year! I still have to wait a bit though.....nothing growing yet other than some of my bulbs popping through.....however that does mean that spring has spung!!!

Harleysville, PA

My Niobe was planted last spring and did not do too much for me yet. I will see how she is this year. she is just starting to show some green here.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful clematis folks. My proteus does bloom with some double and some single flowers at the same time. The story of Proteus in Greek Mythology is very interesting. Proteus is a shape shifter and sea God. If you tried to get the truth out of him the only way to do it was to hold onto him while he changed into many beasts. Finally when he changed to human he would tell you the truth. So perhaps that's why Proteus has both single and double flowers at the same time.

There are three different types of blossoms in this photo and all are Proteus.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is a very double Proteus from the garden today. It also has some single and semi-double flowers

Thumbnail by doss
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

OH DOSS!!..Lucky you...Congrats!!...you give me hope!!...since you are in zone 9B...I kept thinking it was because I was in a warmer zone..maybe it just depends on the right plant?..where did you gets yours..it's delightful...Jeanne

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Multi blue with pink Don Juan climber roses. Morning Jeanne.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

H.F. Young clem. with Knockout rose bush this AM.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Fireworks' clem. climbing up 'Balirina' shrub rose. (the roses just now forming buds).

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Goodmorning Kim..How beautiful..congrats..well done...Jeanne

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that I bought the Proteus at Chalk Hill Clematis. Could have been Joy Creek though.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I noticed my neighbor has a double blooms clematis at her mail-box this morning. I'll take some picture of them this afternoon, could y'all help give an I.D. ? If that's Proteus, I'm gonna get one. lol.
Kim

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Josephine blooming today.

Thumbnail by doss
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Doss, your Josephine is spectacular, I like your Proteau and Jeannie's Seiboldii too....whaaa! Too many clematis to little space. lol.

My neighbor's double blooms isn't a Proteau I don't think, it's creamy white with a hint of light lavender to it. 'Dutchess of Idenburg' ?(sp.) Here it's.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks like it could possibly be "Chalcedony" being it has a pinkish cast??
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=105
Duchess of Edinburg is white with a green cast...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.