Can anyone help me identify this iris?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I posted it on the early bloomers thread as it is blooming now. This shot is one of my favs from last year. About 8 years ago I was given several nice iris from a friends who was president of an iris society. I labeled them all at that time. Shortly after that I was in a wreck and ended up with a concussion and some memory loss--no problem as they were labeled right? Nope-we moved and several of the labels got lost. So any help figuring these out would be wonderful. This one is a clump that has been there for about 6 years (guess I need to divide this Fall!) It is 31 inches tall and about that wide. the iris themselves are about 6 inches tall and 5 1/2 inches wide. I thought you all might get me started on a search. Thanks for any input! jj

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Here is a shot of an individual bloom.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

and I hope this comes across for you, because I love that this one shows a glittery look to the falls. Just as if I took gold glitter out and applied it.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

reminds me of one of Gibson's
into in late 60 or 70
fawn in name ?????

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

OK, I am an old gardener, but not familiar with how to find Iris. What does that mean? LOL! Is there a website that lists names etc? I looked at the AIS and didn't see listings with photos.

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Great pic and lovely irises !!!...........sharon

Raleigh, NC

the american iris society registers all irises (worldwide). They keep a database of those in commercial production, but there are many many more never registered. Dave's Garden possibly has the largest bank of photos of known varieties I know of.

Identifying irises that have lost their gardenlabels is extremely difficult. good luck

Raleigh, NC

rereading your posts, you might go back to your friend in the iris society - it's possible someone from her society kept a list of irises sold/traded that year. and there's a very real possibility that, if you got one, someone there also did and would be able to identify it.

also, I think you call that "glitter" diamond dust if it reflects light, not as common. The shape size and form indicate Tall Bearded,

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for that answer. I guess the name is really not as important, but I will try to figure it out! Unfortunately the lady who was president that gave me this one has moved on and I lost touch. But good idea to ask other members! I have also moved from that city, but can now make an effort to attend their next show and ask around. At one time I had the list of what she gave me which would help me to figure it out, so maybe I will come across it. I love calling it diamond dust. ; ) I think it is a tall bearded too. So at least I am on my way with this search.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Beautiful photos, Cactuspatch. I'm sorry to hear that you were in an accident.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks, it was quite a while ago but I just keep finding things that I have forgotten!

http://www.hips-roots.com/
click on potos and look at them all from A to Z

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh great! More for my wish list:LOL:
I love that first photo...look like it's in some landscaping magazine:)

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8b)

In the link from tazzy, look at "Happy Days"; in the picture it's a little lighter than yours, but says it has "an unusual glistening finish".... Another possibility is "California Gold", which I have blooming now.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm betting on TIGER HONEY.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

weatherguesser, those were pretty good matches. The Happy Days is lighter though. Mine had more gold on the falls and it says HD has as many as 8 blooms on a stalk. Mine usually has about 4 on each one. It really looks like CA gold, except they don't mention the "diamond dust" or glitter. I gotta say I like calling it Happy Days though. I had being cold and once it blooms our weather is great until Nov!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

2nd chance, thanks for that one. It is much darker though. I don't recall these names when I had that list of my iris either.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pretty iris.... but what's the name of your beautiful cat?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Neil, that cat is my oldest Sophie. She is 15 1/2 years old and starting to have some health issues. But she is a dear and we are keeping her comfy . She still plays in the yard, rolls in the catnip and sleeps in the sun almost daily. She sleeps with me at night. I will sure miss her when I have to let her go.

Davenport, WA

When trying to ID irises, it is also important to note whether your plants have purple-based foliage. This can sometimes fade or vice versa get darker during the season, but it is best to look before and during bloom.

A few irises have purple on their stalks or spathes.

This helps to eliminate all those possible irises that are totally green.

Noting the flower count per stem is very useful info. Also note whether flowers on the same stalk tend to open one at a time or multiple flowers at the same time.

You can't go by the color on your computer screen when trying to match. Computer screens and digital cameras both vary in the colors they show to some degree. If you use a non-digital camera, the film that you select will determine the colors you get on print paper (Fugi tends to show yellow greens better than some other, however I could see the difference between slide and print film in the same brand)

Height can vary depending on your weather, warm or cool.

In some cultivars, petal color can be impacted by warm or cool temps at two different times, while the buds are developing (cool weather tends to brighten the color and very warm to hot weather tends make flowers less bright) and then after the flower opens (some fade and other cultivars do not).

If you think you know what you have, it is best to buy the same iris from a reputable grower (who offers to replace or refund if the iris you buy from them is misID'd) to compare it to. On the surface it seems silly to duplicate, but quite often you will notice difference when you grow two side by side and you will know that the two are different.

Good luck!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for that advice. I had noticed that they do have different numbers of blooms per stalk etc. After gardening all these years, it is interesting to find out more details about such things!

even the hair on the beard are important in Id .
two different iris at first glance may look a like but one beard is yellow in throat and tipped blue at tip the other is all yellow etc.

Raleigh, NC

are you confused yet?

well, back to going back to the source. You don't have to wait for the next iris show.. Most iris shows are put on by active iris societies. Just look on the website www.irises.org and you will find the american iris society. look under regions and you will find the affiliated societies in the different states - you'll find the one that had the sale with very little asking about, and they have addresses, emails, sometimes phone numbers you can call. IF ITS A REGISTERED IRIS and not a seedling or a passalong, they have the best chance of helping you.

Tulsa early iris show is this Sat . at 1pm to 5pm and Sun1pm to 5pm
at Woodward Park Mansion

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 10:55 PM

South Hamilton, MA

As far as suggestions, it could not be Tiger Honey which is a flower with 'broken color' That is an erratic color caused by the same type of gene which produces multi-colored corn like butter & sugar. Contacting the local iris affiliate is always a good idea as the members know what grows in the local area.

Catus
you measure your iris by measuring stalk from ground to highest part of iris bloom .

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

sure is lovely love that shade.. Tazzy what are those times you posted?? hmm? hello dr. today.

On Hips site there are two iris that look like yours this one is
California Gold
TB M Y4D, From Cooley's Gardens catalog for 1937: "The deepest large flowered yellow, being a seedling of Grace Sturtevant is hardy. Does not fade, and shows no paling in standards, falls or beard.

the other is
Alta California
Mohr-Mitchell, 1931

TB M S6D, From Cooley's Gardens catalog for 1937: "Standards of clear yellow, falls of deep yellow, faintly bronzed. One of the tallest of all irises, very popular among the new yellows, a reliable performer in Minnesota as well as new England and California. The large blossoms are of firm smooth texture, produced on splendid stems."

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

oops here where there pictures are
http://www.hips-roots.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.