Transplanting Calycanthus

Annapolis, MD

I've decided I need to move a Calycanthus floridus that I just planted last year.

It's just beginning to send out the smallest of leaves and buds.

Should I move it now before it 'wakes up' any more, or wait until after it blooms?

Thanks,
Teresa

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

What zone are you in? If you're in the cold north where you're just barely getting into spring then it may be OK to move it now, but if you live farther south I'd probably wait, it's never good to transplant things shortly before your weather gets hot. That's general transplanting advice for any plant, I don't know specifically for this one whether you're supposed to move it when it's totally dormant or whether moving it while it's awake is OK, hopefully someone else can comment on that.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

That's right, and especially if it has gotten to the point of being able to see the flower buds. Of course the plant will survive, but there will be a lot of evident stress: that new growth is so tender that it will immediately droop after transplanting, and mostlikely that droopy growth will harden that way permanently.

I would wait until the first flush of growth has matured, and stiffened up. Here in Minnesota, the winter buds aren't even plumping yet.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm zone 8 Arkansas. I move mine in the fall because it doesn't take long to get hot in my area. We've already had days in the 80's this month.

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.