Today's the day. My deer resistance study is now posted!

Athens, OH

After six years of trials, and help from my DH and friends here at DG the website is ready.

If you are interested, check it out at:
http://home.frognet.net/~brune/deer-resistant/home.php

I imagine that I will here from lots of people saying "I can't believe you think THAT plant is deer resistant. In my garden...." But honestly, that is exactly the feedback we need. The website is meant to be interactive. So, please let me know what you think. [PS any suggestions, corrections, revisions, etc. are appreciated.]

ROX

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Rox!! Hurray for you! I bet you thought that would NEVER be over!

Athens, OH

I really didn't.
Now I feel like I can get back in the garden without the guilt.

I really hope it helps some people. I know how frustrating it can be having a garden with deer.
So far, no response to the info on the website.....

ROX

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Rox, the headings at the top (in green) are not working links. Great info, though.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Rox! Looks great! Lot's of information there and I'm going to have to print it out and study it! Very valuable!

Reading your lists, I can see I already made some planting mistakes---I just wasn't thinking and your lists really pointed out that I'm planting some real 'deer candy' with my holly hocks and a few other things and I'd best leave them out so the deer don't make nightly forays into our yard. (It seemed like we finally got some relief from them because of the park rangers' "culling program" the last few years.)

And I am so impressed with the collection of plants from your 'test gardens'--quite a wide range!

So, congratulations, and happy gardening with out guilt now! Take care. t.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Rox, that's great. Have you thought about registering a domain name and having it forward to where you have your pages hosted? That would make it easy for people to remember. I just checked for a few and see that nobambi.com and no-bambi.com in particular! LOL

Man, I am whupped. Tomorrow all the bigwigs from our market are coming to our store to spend the day. There will be managers, district managers, boss of district managers...Etc. We spent the day deep-cleaning and the evening crew will do likewise. I stayed over a couple hours today and will work tomorrow while they're here. From the sounds of it, they'll be watching us very closely. I'm going to bed early tonight, so hello and goodbye all in one post.

Athens, OH

KyWoods-
Thanks for checking it out.
The links works, but the transition is slow (about a 1/2/ sec).

Gardenwife-
I think you are absolutely right.
Do you know where I can check out possible names (that aren't taken) to register a domain name?

I like the nobambi.com.
Any other ideas?

gardeningindeercountry

How about: ohdeer.com lol.

Ha, ha! great names!

Athens, OH

Well, I just registered for www.gardeningindeercountry.com

I had to expedite the matter because I have been asked to guest on the Martha Stewart radio show tomorrow (Sirius channel 112, 1:30 pm).
I am excited but a little nervous too!

ROX

Oooo, congrats! That's exciting!

Oh, cool! I'll have to figure out how to tune it in here.

Martha's pretty quick to pick up on a 'good thing' isn't she?!! Good luck!

(Give DG a plug, too!)

Athens, OH

I definitely will.
Question: Can non-members access the Plant Files?

ROX

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, that is really cool, Rox! Congratulations! And congrats on the website buy, too. You can make some good dough by putting Google ads up on your pages, by the way. :)

Yes, non-members may access the Plantfiles. They are limited to a certain number of searches per day, I believe.

Yep, that's how I discovered DG--through the Plantfiles.

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Rox, I wasn't able to get to website by this link, but I put the address in myself nad went to it. Very impressive!!! I will have to read more when I have more time. Such good info here.
Judy

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

If you have time to register for Google Adsense at adsense.google.com and put up one ad before you are on Martha's show, you may find yourself some fast cash as people click the ads. You just have to copy the snippet of javascript into your page and Google does the rest. Of course, I understand if you don't want to commercialize your site, too; it's likely that deer repellents would be some of the first ads that would come up along with plant nurseries and it would be hard to screen them for quality.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2008 8:37 AM

Athens, OH

Interesting idea re: Google Adsense.....
ROX

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Rox,
I just read through your site and it's Fabulous!
I'm really impressed, it's informative, well put together and interesting.
I really appreciate the list of plants and being able to sort it in different ways, I loved the tips section (which I will use)

How did it go with Martha?
Cheers
Dove

Athens, OH

It went well, but I was nervous! In the middle they cut to a commercial break. I didn't know and thought the line was disconnected! But I was able to answer the questions and had fun. Thanks for asking.
ROX

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Oh, I forgot to watch this thread. What great news about Martha. How is your website doing? Do you have a hit counter?

Lana

Athens, OH

I do have a counter; ~100 unique visitors over the last 2 months.
Still trying to get the word out....

Rox

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

A job WELL DONE Rox, I'm sending that link to a few people around here, just want to thank you for all of your hard work, you must be proud!

Lea

Rox, still nothing happens when I click on the green tabs at the top on the site! You know, the ones that say, "About the study", "About the deer", etc.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

They didn't for me either.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Rox, do you know if the interview is available for streaming media or download somewhere?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Click the box, the new subject will appear in the area below.
The curser doesn't change like you're use to seeing is all.

Still didn't work--I'm using Firefox, would that make a difference? I'll try Internet Explorer...

It's this link, right? [HYPERLINK@www.gardeningindeercountry.com]

Athens, OH

I use Internet explorer, but I wouldn't think that it would make a difference.

Here is the link: http://www.gardeningindeercountry.com/

Rox

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Rox.. Your links across the top are not working..

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Working just fine here!

Hmmm....they either work intermittently, or some of our computers/settings are funky, lol. I'm gonna have to ask my geek son, lol.

Athens, OH

This is troublesome. Please let me know how it works out.
Thanks, ROX

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

It worked for me. There is no curser, but if you go there and double click it comes up. That doesn't make sense!

How weird--it works for me using Internet Explorer, but not with Firefox!

Athens, OH

I am going to ask the IT guys about this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

PS Does anyone disagree or have comments for the site? It is meant to be interactive.
ROX

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Rox,
I have no experience with deer, your list of plants and the ability of the site visitor to rearrange the information according to their wishes is brilliant. You might want to add growing roses in deer country is best for gardeners that prefer to grow roses that never bloom and for those who are concerned about pruning their thorny roses. The deer will take care of both.

I worked in web design for 6 years.
I doubt this is the kind of suggestions you're looking for (because) they are not regarding the study.
Which I thought it was great.
Regarding the web design; it's clean and professional, it's great (did I say that already)
White background and black font is perfect, it's the easiest and most inviting to read.

My opinion is that the link at the end of your introduction/message that reads "Click HERE to see the list!" should not be the only link to your research list of plants. Along the top of the page with your other links (background in green) there should be a DEER PROOF PLANT LIST, or something along those lines.

My second opinion is the useful links on the left side of the page should not be there. People surfing the web have been "trained" that the left side of the page is the site content page links, we automatically look there for where to go next.
the "Quick Links" along the side would best be located in a table along the bottom of the page.
Also those Quick Links should open in a new window or tab so the site visitor will not leave (and loose) your site while reading though the other sites content.

Finally, in the area people don't see, the page html code there are no meta tags, no search words, nothing much to make the search engines pick up your site when an individual does a search on your topic.
I.E.
< meta name= "description" content="deer-proof plants, white-tail deer damage, Landscape Plants Rated by Deer Resistance, Plants Rarely Damaged by Deer, Deer Feeding Habits, Deer Agriculture, white tail deer, whitetail deer, Odocoileus virginianus, horticulture deer, gardening near deer, deer eating flowers, fruit deer eat, nuts that attract deer, deer and growing herbs, dear ornamental trees shrubs, ornamental plants not favored by deer" />

Finally... oops did I already say finally...
Your page title is the first thing the search engine picks up, it should be different for every page to give your site the opportunity to be located by different search words.
Your title is Deer Resistance Study
Deer Resistance Plant Study may be more accurate
changing page tiles to things like "Control and Management of Deer - Deer Resistance Plant Study" and "White-tailed Deer Damage - Deer Resistance Plant Study" will increase traffic. (never use an ampersand "&" in your titles or meta tags, it looks like this to a search engine "&" )

These are just suggestions, I hope I haven't totally bored you... or worse offended you.
I love your study and hope to see it become a wildly popular resource.

Cheers
Dove

Athens, OH

Dove-
You are super! Thanks for the suggestions.
After the garden tour (this Sunday - All life as I know it has been suspended in anticipation), I will get on it.
Is it OK if I Dmail you?
ROX

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

My pleasure.
Is it your garden being toured? Give me a Dmail when you get a chance.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey Rox!
Thanks so much for all your time and effort put into this report. I live deep in deer country and had a bed far from the house that always got eaten by deer. I completely replanted it with your plant list as my guide and now no deer buffet!
Thanks again for all your time and effort!
George

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.