Tomatilla Pest?

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I saw a couple of what I think were cucumber beetles on my tomatillo plants yesterday. There were a few leaves that were obviously chewed. I took the organic approach and caught the beetles and killed them by hand.

Apparently, they REALLY like tomatillos and there are more than I saw. The image below is a composite of two different plants. Both were severely chewed today! Most was obviously new, while some of the other was a little older. All my tomatillos have some damage.

Any suggestions for control? I have Sevin (5%) dust on hand, and I have a vegetable spray with 1% pyrethrin. Which would be preferred? So far, the varmits haven't shown any interest in the nearby tomatoes. None of my cucumbers or squash have sprouted.

Am I stuck using the tomatillos as a trap crop? I'm really looking forward to some salsa verde...

Thoughts?

Thumbnail by dreaves

Try a row cover . I usualy go to the fabric store and get the stuff they make wedding veils out of . its cheap. and make a row cover with some 9 guage wire .
The fabric usually has holes really small and will still let in sun.
hope it helps :)

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Once the bugs are on the plants, a row cover isn't going to help.

According to this article, both pyrethrins and Sevin will work:

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/cucumberbeetle.html

I have been using neem lately (for really persistent aphids) and have been very pleased with it. It works on cucumber beetles too--kills the ones on the plant and then repels them for 2 weeks.

I guess it would be tedius picking off the bugs :) and keeping them off before you get it under wrap
I have herd of neem
I also recall a thread many yrs ago about someone who used garlic spray
ferment garlic in some water for a few weeks then spray on.
i will see if i can find the thread

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I used the Sevin dust. There wasn't any indication that bees are anywhere around, so there's not much risk to beneficials. I'll keep an eye on them and try to use the least damaging control I can.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I just found those on my tomatillos today! They are doing a lot of damage fast.
I use Fruit & Nut Tree Spray by Greenlight.. it's Neem with Pyrethrins safe to use up to the day of harvest! It's in a plain white bottle at Lowe's and it is awesome stuff.. I'm going to spray tomorrow..
I'll post any findings..

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I haven't seen any more cucumber beetles, but the tomatillo plants are badly damaged. I don't know if they will recover. I may just pull them and put in a few more tomatoes.

sorry to hear the bugs got to them . Those beetles are awful.
hope they recover :)

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the warning. I am planting mine out tomorrow and they will immediately be clothed in Sevin. I've never grown them before and would have been wiped out if you hadn't mentioned it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.