Whats This?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have asked elswhere but it wouldn't hurt to invite others with mystery plants to wade in.
This growns in a clump of cream and green striped leaves all summer. In the Fall it puts up a flower that looks like a grape hyiasenth but pink.

Thumbnail by ge1836
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I believe it's liriope (monkey grass)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1612/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone it is Liriope. Should be great when it matures.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Can be very invasive here. Spreads by underground runners and birds love the berries=reseeds. Mow or prune it flat before new growth starts because the previous year's growth goes down and looks trashy. Really easy to divide with bread knife or small saw. Yours could go into two to four sections and look like the original in a couple months. It's cast iron.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Maypoplaurel: I inherited this garden when we bought the house last July so there are plants I cant figure out. I'll trim them back. There seems to be two varieties .varigated and plain leafed. Only a few bloomed last year so I have no idea when they were planted. There are a lot of plants here like that. These might be old and died out because they are planted in amongst the boxwood along the path to the front door.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Based on the cost of that plant locally I see forty or mor bucks there. If you were to sink a shovel through it two ways you would have four. You can do it almost anytime but early spring is best. And then you would have four indiviual clumps or one large bed with four growing together by this fall. That specific plant is between six and nine dollars for a start smaller than my suggested divide method pieces. Mine have not been invasive to the point of undesirable. They do move about as suggested in another response above.

There will come a time in my beds that I will likely dig out the old and send it to the landfill leaving the new to develop fresh new plants. Again here in Northcentral Pennsylvania the plant reaches out but does not seem invasive to me. Our freezing winters may hold it back.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks docgip: I can use all the info on this plant as possible, and I think about worth the same way you do.$40BUCKS EHHH. They are scattered about the place so I'll start diggin.
There is another spot under a blossoming cherry tree that has filled with threadlike leaves. It looks like grape hiasenth sp but never blooms. The plants come from bulbs and emerged in the fall and over wintered as leaves but no blooms.I wonder if they are too crowded.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

PS Amy says there is a place for "plant ID" where can I find it?

There sure would be competition for the flowers from the tree roots. Most tree roots use the same top inches for food and water. My crocus look like that . Here they do not bloom under the tree but out from the drip line of the tree they do bloom. Our chipmunks dig and replant them all over the place. They never seem to replant them in our flower beds. Every several years I restock the flower beds to keep bloom in the beds and to give the critters something to do. I never saw one eating them but I assume they do. To some degree the reproduction is more or less greater than that which they eat. The unexpected bloom is fun to discover. I cut my grass at three to four inches high so it does not retard their growth where they can get food and water.

You're kidding Doc!! I think I've hit oil! I've got whole driveways lined in the stuff. The variegated is less invasive.

Anyway, do a little DG research as mondo and liriope are almost identical, one being more invasive than the other. I can't remember, but thought the purple flowers were mondo which is less invasive and liriope was white flowered. Forgive me here if I'm not remembering correctly but do check it out.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I recall pinkish flowers late last summer maybe around Sept.
Everything here is new. Cant wait to see the mysterious Iris I think are Sibs, big dry clumps now but in my daughters territory (up a hill).
I'll keep everyone posted as things develope in the warmer days to come.
Your help is invaluable docgipe and maypoplaurel

Looking only at one picture is indeed tricky. Dig a few and see if you have the bulbs or some other dastardly unknown plant. Take an example in to your garden club or county agent. If it is a native invasive plant you may be on the edge of decision time. To kill or not to kill that is the question. One man's beauty is another man's horror! :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Afriend of mine has the ones that emerge in the fall(looks like grape hiasynth) an she says they have pink blooms. These never bloomed and just lay there. I'm gunna digem out.It's a nice shade garden that could be used for something else.

Oh, sorry, should have read more carefully. Neither liriope or mondo have bulbs. Not sure of the correct terminology, but stoloniferous runner comes to mind when thinking about the way they spread.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I can WOW them at "girls lunch" with that terminology.

I'm blushing.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

out of bed a rarin to go.
Do you have a science background? Maypoplaurel?
My daughter is a scientist and ever since she was in highschool we would use terms like stolonoferus .
The one in most common use at the time was (pardon the spelling) aeromatic hydrocarbons.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.