Do you divide your heuchera?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I'm a heuchera newbie. I just started planting them last year and I'm in love. I'm not sure how or when to divide heucheras. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I divide mine when they need it. That's the hard part to explain but they do start looking too woody at the bottom and give the appearance of frost heave. It's easy enough to dig them up, cut off all the old gnarly growth and replant.

Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Is now the best time to do it? I have some that are looking pretty ragged and I think they need dividing. They are much slower perking up this year and very little of last year's growth survived the winter. They are looking pretty nasty, but I don't want to cut everything off for fear of killing them.

I just did Snow Angel today and one other one but the name escapes me now. You don't want all the gnarly underground growth. It's amazing how they bounce back. If you're feeling anxious about just try one plant and see how it works out, then do the others.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

trillium, mine really took a beating this winter too. Just this weekend I cut mine waaaaay back. I've never had to do that before. But there were new leaves forming in the center already and I'm sure they'll be OK.

So you don't divide them into two plants? You just cut the raggedy stuff off and trim the roots?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Laura,
Check out this thread. It has great advice and pictures (!) on how to divide your heucheras.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/729259/
Happy propagating!
Bev

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I divided some of them but not all of them. Yes, I just trimmed off the beat up leaves.

Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Mine are finally looking better after a couple of warm sunny days. Looks like I will have to trim them back though to get rid of some of the ratty stuff. I'm kinda scared to do much with them as I only have a couple of mature ones, and they are right by the door and I don't want to kill them!! Thanks for the advice!

Just take one cutting from the side and when you see how well it bounces back you'll probably be anxious to do more.

So I don't HAVE to divide them, I can just cut back ratty leaves. This is a relief! I'll divide some, but I think I'll wait a year or five. ;)

Thanks everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.