How can I tell whether I have a lilac tree or shrub?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We have a lilac that lived for many years in an untended area of our yard. It is our only lilac. I have no idea whether it ever bloomed. It is at least 20 years old.

We moved it to the front yard last year. My DH and his son moved it so that it sits (I can't explain why they did this!) exactly under a utility wire. It is now almost touching the wire, so we either have to prune it or move it -- and I don't think I'll get much co-operation moving it, so I need to prune it. It now has a few blooms on the very top of it.

I did a little research, and learned that there are both lilac bushes and trees. Ours looks a bit like a tree -- maybe 10' high. I'd prefer to prune it into a bush shape if that is possible. (I realize this will take some years, if it is possible at all.)

Can anyone tell me how to discover whether this is a bush or a tree? Are these really 2 different groups of lilacs -- trees and bushes? If I have a lilac "tree", can it be pruned into a bush shape???

This message was edited Apr 13, 2008 2:54 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

After looking at the lilac again, I am inclined to think it is a bush that has not been pruned properly, because there are a lot of tall suckers at the base, but one main stem.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Are these really 2 different groups of lilacs -- trees and bushes?

No. The distinction between 'bush' and 'tree' is an artificial one, with no basis in biology.

Resin

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's very helpful -- thanks!!!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

It's a bush that grew in tree form. Cut it back. It will thank you for it. The Lilac tree 'Syringa reticulata" is a totally different plant that blooms in June/July and has white flowers, no suckers.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

This has purple blossoms, so it clearly isn't Syringa reticulata. Many thanks! It will need all the help it can get because it isn't in the sunniest spot . . .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.