Strange plant discovery!

Brisbane, Australia

I came across this odd-looking plant recently, while walking through scrubland near Brisbane. I have a feeling that it's a weed, but there were several species of honyeater feeding off it. I'd love to plant some in the garden to attract birds, but I need to know what it is first.! It has balloon-shaped, spiky green pods and none of the flowers appear to develop further than the one in the photo.

Thumbnail by GrandmaBinkie
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Grandmabinkie, I don't know what your plant might be, but it looks similar to Leonotis. Does it have much of a fragrance, kinda like a herb?
Sue

Brisbane, Australia

You are absolutely right, weed-woman! I Googled Leonotis, and there it was.....Leonotis Nepetifolia. No mention of it being a weed in Australia, so I might try some propagation. Thanks very much !

Coffs Harbour, Australia

What a stroke of luck! I didn't really think it would be that! It just reminded me a little of the one I have, Leonotis Leonurus.
Good luck with them.
Sue

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi GrandmaBinkie,

I had a plant in my garden this past summer, and they tend to form quite a lot of seed. Keep an eye on the plant you photographed. The part where the red flowers are will actually turn brown, and you'll be able to shake the seeds into your hand. I am hoping for a few volunteers next spring as they really give the garden a lovely feel, and as you said the birds just love the nectar.

Good luck,
Elsa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.