Clematis; The President?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

One of my first hybrid Clem. in bloom, please help confirm if this is Clematis 'The President'?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Confirmed! Enjoy.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

pirl, thank you. 'Tis the season for clematis to shine!
Happy gardening.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lily..when your clematis is more open..please look at the anthers and see if you see red ones...they aren't cream coloured..here is one of mine to compare as it is just opening..Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

and here it is fully opened..see how red the anthers are?..You can still see they are red as they open in my prior pic

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Richmond Hill, GA

My thoughts too Jeanne. My anthers are red on my President.
Arlene

Here's mine for comparison.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mine, those in the picture posted above, all the anthers are creamy white. But in another area I've this new bud that is about to open up with anthers looks like that of pirl's (above).

So now the question is what is the first posted clematis have I got? Jackmanii are not blooming yet here in my garden. So that's ruled out. What mysterious clematis have I got?

Here the clematis in question in close up.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The President? This is the semi-open bud with anthers like that of pirl's.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Pirl...yours is definitely Clematis "The President"...Lily..your last pic is a bit fuzzy and hard to tell..it almost looks like an immature clematis "Multi-Blue" (has a big pom pom center)...but could very well be "The President"..show us a pic when it is fully open to know for sure..about your other one..it's really hard to tell..is the pic you showed the colour it looks in real life?..Distinguishing between purple and those bluey-purples can get tough without a true to colour pic that shows not only the anthers but the connectives as well..it possibly could be either "H.F.Young" if on the pale bluey side
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=24
or it could be Clematis "Rhapsody" if on the the more purplish side of the color spectrum
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=393

Lily - do you have a master list of all clematises you purchased?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pirl, no I don't. These are from local garden center, and I knew I've H.F. Young, a lighter blue as Jeanne has mentioned, and I thought I'd recognize those when in bloom. I don't recall have had a Rhapsody planted. So I'm at a lost at the movement.

And Jeanne is once again correct on identifying 'Multiblue' I just planted those last year. Thanks Jeanne. Tomorrow I'll post more pictures as it unfurls.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, I was just going to post a pic of my “mystery” clematis, when I came across this thread. My blooms look very similar to those in the original post…at least I think so ;-). Then again, I don’t really know much at all about clematis, and received the plant below from a friend who left town. When I adopted it in December, it was nothing more than a little twig, and I have greatly enjoyed watching it come to life and actually bloom! I definitely don’t want to hijack this thread, but was wondering if you all would mind taking a peek at my pics as well, since they are so similar. I hope I’m not confusing matters. Thanks in advance :)

Thumbnail by sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I can’t seem to get a photo that does justice to the wonderful purple shade of the blooms. The closest I’ve come is my “clematis by flashlight” shot below:

Thumbnail by sunnyg
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I love the "Clematis by Flashlight" shot. Beautiful!

That is a lovely photo.

(Zone 4a)

This is The President in my garden.....

Thumbnail by DawnLL
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful pictures everyone!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Once again for the record, I think Jeanne has correctly identified my blue clematis. H.F. Young instead of 'The President'. Thanks Jeanne. H.F. Young while the weather is still mild and cool outdoor, its coloring is somewhat darker. But as the blooms progress I can see the true coloring. Will post some more pics. tomorrow as the weather permits.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dawn..Your clematis "The President" is stunning!!..Lily..glad you got it ID-ed Hon!!..Are you girls thinking of putting out plant markers..LOL..I have mine marked and the prune group written on my label as well for those times that I have a "Duh" moment while out in my gardens...Jeanne

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL, it's the mystery why I do the same thing and expecting different results. Not marking my lovelies and think that I'd remember them all. Thanks again Jeanne. One of these days I'll have them all marked, I think....^_^

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lily..just a suggestion..I bought the EON plant Markers from a Co-op on Dave's..the prices are great!!..So check the co-op forum and watch for when someone has another one!@!...Jeanne
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/810287/

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Jeanne, I've marked the thread for future referrence. I've often wondering where my buddies got those markers from.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Jeanne, great idea to write the pruning group on the labels. I'll have to add them to mine. Thanks for the tip!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.