Need your professional help! This is for "Helping Hands"

(Zone 4a)

Hi folks!!! I came to the best looking for some help. My work does this every year - we pick an organization that is in need of repairs inside and out. I was asked to look after the yard stuff - wow I was honoured. Of course I am a little nervous now. I haven't seen the location yet - however I am still trying to get some ideas. I need small shrub, bush, and perennial ideas....probably easy to care for plants as welll since I am guessing that even after the work is done they probably don't want to bother doing a lot of maintenance work on it. Here are my questions....

What bushes, shrubs or flowering perennials would be perfect for a sunny location? Here is what I have so far in my mind which isn't a lot - that is why I need help!
- day lilies - stella doro
- coreopsis
- are there any hostas that do well in full sun???
- potentilla
- weigela

How about for shaded areas??
- hostas
- astilbe
- ferns
- bleeding hearts

I am in zone 4 - any help would be appreciate!!!!! Please help me out for a good cause. :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You've made good choices so far, Dawn. Some hostas can take sun. Our hosta Plantaginea is one of them. Just plant with a lot of compost to keep the roots cool. Impatiens goes well in shade for shade while the perennials are filling out.

Asters for sun along with Anthemis (Golden Marguerite - little daisy like flowers), Siberian irises (for wet and sunny spots) and hydrangeas for those part sunny/part shady areas.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

What is the size limit, Dawn? Is the shade area full shade??

(Zone 4a)

Victor I wish I had more info but I have nothing at this time...that is why I just just trying to get several ideas for any situation.....I think the project is tentatively schedule for June 14......I will know more when I go to the site but I am not sure when that will be.... look what we just got overnight!!!!

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Zone 4a)

Spirea would probably be a good easy care plant right?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, depending on variety. Some stay a bit lower than others.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Echinacea?
Happy Returns daylilies are a lighter yellow than the Stellas, and seem to go on and on...
Mums?
Dianthus?

Fothergilla, smaller lilacs, Geranium macrorrhizum. Some clethra are zone 4.

Smaller Hydrangea paniculata.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Here are some I've raised in Z6 but are rated for Z4 beside others mentioned above:

Flowers for sun: Gaillardia, Rudbeckia, Linum, Pyrethrum, Liatris, Lychnis, Lupine, Nepeta,
Monarda, some Penstemons, Phlox, Perovskia, Platycodon, Echinops, Dianthus,
Centaurea, some Baptisia, Boltonia.

For part shade: Heuchera, Johnson's Blue Geranium, other cranesbills, Lobelia, Myosotis,
Ajuga, Coreopsis Moonbeam, some Campanula, Brunnera and evergreens.

Short shrubs for sun: Viburnum carlesii, Sambucus, Azalea Northern Lights,
and (although I've never planted it, I'm tempted) Physocarpus and many evergreens.

Short shrubs for sun or pt. shade: Gaultheria, Clethra, Diervilla (spreads tho), Microbiota,
Potentilla, dwarf Kalmia, holly (if you are willing to keep it sheared).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.