blooms for 4/11 and weekend

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Just a few today, add on if you have any. I'll start with the Butterball twins:

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

Then my first Tie Dye Wind for the year,

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

Tie Dye Wind is usually a little more two toned. But then this is the first for the year. Then there's this one. I think it's called Cherie. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

Peach El Capitalio Sport, I don't remember if I've shown this one yet this year.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

And then this one....Ok I know it's not a hibiscus, but I have a ton of them and this is the first one to bloom. I just planted them late last year so I'm sure the others will bloom, but I was just so pleased that I finally get to see one.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Anne, your blooms are gorgeous, I really like that El Capitalio the red really makes the peach pop! Is the last one a lily?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, AuntAnne. I'll display my ignorance. Is the beautiful non-Hibiscus a Freesia? some relative of a lipstick plant? I love the color and form . .
Barry

Sorry, I forgot to say what it is. It's Crocosmia. Flowerjunkie gave me some. Today after the round up some of us went to Antique Rose Emporium and I got their last packet of Crocosmia "Lucifer". OK now back to your regularly scheduled hibiscus. Barry, here's one for you. What is the name of this? The blooms were white the other day. Today they're pink. I'm not complaining of course.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Anne, whatever that one is - it is very pretty and I love that it changes from white to pink.

Be very careful with those crocosmias, they can really get out of hand and you need all your room for hibiscus. :-)))

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Is it blooming now Anne? It seems really early for Crocosmia, they don't bloom until mid-summer, so if it's growing outdoors then I wonder if it was ID'd correctly? There are a couple other plants that look similar but bloom this time of year...Chasmanthe and Watsonia are two of them and there may be a third one too but I'm drawing a blank on the name. One of them (and I can't remember which) is a total dead ringer for Crocosmia, it fooled me several times except I couldn't figure out why it was blooming in the spring, then I found out it was one of those other plants instead.

Ecrane
It is taller than all of my other Crocosmias. And yes I'm getting that idea about this particular type of Crocosmia. I don't think that I have the "Lucifer" though. Flowerjunkie gave me about 13 tubers about a year and a half ago. I'd say that I must have about 50 now. I've yet to see one bloom though, except maybe this one. I'd like to know if they're worth the trouble that they're going to cause.

Anne

And the pink/white changing hib is one of those that I knew the name when I brought it home, but didn't mark it because "I'll remember what it is" phhtt, yeah right!

Anne

They could have been grown in a GH and forced into bloom. I have found they do take a whole to bloom when they are transplanted. Lucifer is profiic; I also have Norwich Gold and it is much better behaved.

There is a fellow form England here on DG that has a collection of hundreds of varieties of crocosmias. He has an awesome website with the most fantastic pictures. Of course I can't think of his name...........

I've corresponded with him and yes the website is gorgeous.

Anne

I would put up with invasive if we could find some of those crocosmias stateside.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Some of them are less invasive than others--I'm not sure if it's the straight species that's bad and the named cultivars are fine, or if there are some cultivars that are badly behaved too, but there are definitely some you can get that won't take over the world.

Lucifer is aptly named, he multiplies by the thousands.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Anne, I'm even more ignorant than you thought: I don't recognize that hibiscus.
Sorry,
Barry

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Anne--is your color changing one a tropical, or could it be confederate rose (Hibiscus mutabilis)? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/714/ It changes color from white to pink.

H. mutabilis starts blooming in October around here, not sure about Texas.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, if her crocosmias are blooming now when they're not supposed to bloom until July or August then I figured confederate rose could be blooming too! I think there's some sort of weird time-space phenomenon going on down there in TX! LOL

LOL, you may be right. My Texan cousins say everything is bigger and brighter there.

Ha, no it's a tropical just can't remember the name to save me. Though the thing about Texas is true, just look at me ;-)

Anne

:-)))) We know you are bright and cheerful.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Very lovely pictures, Anne! Your peach El Cap is great.

Well, I'm finally having blooms to proudly post :-) So nice to have my babies growing well again!

Here's a pair of Heavy Metal.

Thumbnail by amarantha00

Fabulous.

Thumbnail by amarantha00

And a super cheery Pele's Fountain.

Thumbnail by amarantha00

How about a Peach Schnapps? This first time bloom was large and outstanding, a real dose of sunshine :-)

Thumbnail by amarantha00

And Allure - excuse the ugly old freckled arm...

Thumbnail by amarantha00

And lastly for this weekend is one that's fairly new to me, Party Hound - the brown/peach color was enticing I had to bring it in to brighten the kitchen :-)

karen

Thumbnail by amarantha00
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh Karen,
I love Party Hound. Heavy Metal is quite a knockout. It is so strange how Allure looks in different parts of the country.
Anne,
I love your peach el cap. I am so partial to el caps and hawain salmon. Trying to grow some Hawain, to add more to my backyard.

Cat, you're just like me - partial to anything "hibiscus", lol ;-)

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Karen,
If you and I compared data bases, something tells me, we have most of the same flowers. But, then again, you have great taste, lol!

Two for tonight and then off to bed.

Chivary

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Royal Treasure

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, I lied. One more....

Lady Bug

Thumbnail by cat4gp
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Karen, where'd you get Party Hound? I don't remember seeing that one before! My dog tells me it was named after him so I have to get it! LOL

Cat--love the Lady Bug! I don't think I've ever seen the pinkish center on mine, it's always been straight reddish orange with yellow splotches.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Blooming in my garage today, LOL
It's a NOID.
Hope to soon be able to get these outside.

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

This is just a standard variety 'Kona', but I keep it in a southern window at the office and it has caused quite a stir with its large blooms. I brought it home this weekend to repot.

Thumbnail by tropicalaria

Pretty pics Susan & Tropicalaria :-)

Liz I have a friend who lives in Louisiana and knows I love hibiscus - I'm not sure where she got it, I'm thinking maybe a show, but I sure do like it!! Funny about your dog - my dog Sadie and kitten Vincent are arguing over which of them it's named for ;-)

Yes, Cat, I think our lists are probably very similar - isn't it funny how all us hibiscus junkies have such great taste???

My Lady Bug died over the winter :-( Goodness knows I've got to replace it because I don't have nearly enough hibiscus ;-) Chivalry is really pretty - I got Firehouse cuz I thought they looked fairly similar, we're gonna have to compare.

karen

This message was edited Apr 14, 2008 8:21 AM

Mol, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I will add to this thread one cv that is still blooming today, Marie Lousie.

Regards

Carlos

Thumbnail by carlo05

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.