full sun -in containers

Greensboro, NC

I have a newly built deck with 2 fairly large built-in planters (23"X28"X 20" deep) in piedmont NC (zone 7) in full sun. I want to plant two fairly large, tall green specimen size JM's permanently but am a little concerned about tolerance of full sun plus containers. Any suggestions? So far I am considering osakazuki, hogyoku, seiryu, aoyagi, green star and Aj acinitifolium. Also, recommended potting mixture? I know this has been addresssed in previous threads but I don't know how to find them

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

As far as the mix goes, make sure to have a good, well-draining soil. I think those containers won't be big enough in the long term, though they may be fine for a year or two for smaller trees. All of those sound like lovely choices. I would pick Aconitifolium for one of the two. You won't be disappointed in its fall color. I just purchased a hogyoku myself and am deciding where to put it in my landscape. Seiryu is supposed to be a very nice, sun tolerant tree. However, it always looks "leggy" and a bit limp to me, but that may just be the characteristics of a younger tree.

Laura

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Are you sure you want to plant directly in the wooden built-in containers? Maybe buy plastic pots that fit flush with the container? Then, when you need to root trim, you can pull the pots out and it is a world easier. Plus, that would protect your built-in planters from rotting.

Elizabeth

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I think E's idea is a good one ...I have many of mine in wood containers ..( cedar) but I know in a few years I will have to trash them to repot...and mine are not built in !!!..I planted most of mine in bigger contains than they need to keep from having to water so much or change out so soon ...even though conventional wisdom says that is a no no ...I also add a little potting soil to my mix so it does not dry out quite so fast and thatr gives a bit more of the consistancy I like...I personally am more comfortable with this non total bark ,fines and grit mix...not too much maybe 1/4 potting soil or less...Everyone needs to find their own way with potting mixtures ...one size does not fit all ...some folks use only potting mix and do just fine ...also what works for those here or out west may not be as good for your area.David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.