Baobabs

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Seeing the thread about Baobabs here, I thought you all might like to see these wonderful trees in their natural habitat.
During a recent trip to Burkina Faso/West Africa( formerly called Upper Volta), we were absolutely awed by them and I took quite a few pics of them as they were part of the landscape. At the end of February, which was at the end of the dry season, they were bare and looked amazing with their contorted branches.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Dh makes a wonderful size comparison

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Baobabs in groups - really neat

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

This one was HUGE!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

As DH was posing for me under one of these trees, a group of children ran up to him and lined up with him to have their picture taken.

I had posted the trip pics here. For more of DH and the children under the Baobab see pics 89 to 97, they were a lot of fun.
http://www.kammlott.net/BurkinaFaso.html

Thumbnail by RUK
Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

WOW!!! I loved your photos. The trees are impressive enough, but using Hubby for scale was a great idea. Can you imagine the attention we'd get grwing something that spectacular here in the mid-Atlantic?

The pics of those beautiful children are priceless. You should enter them in a contest. - Lynn

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm soooooo jealous!! I'd love to see those trees and all the other wonderful plants in Africa, particularly Southern Africa. Oh, well, maybe some day......

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much for looking, Mamasita and faeden. :-)

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

We should be thanking YOU! The ultimate caudiciform with the best scenery. I still say you should enter a few of these photos into a contest - they're winners!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

You're welcome. I have some marvelous books which have pictures of the baobobs, but that's totally different than seeing pictures taken by someone who's "been there" or being there yourself. Thanks again!

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Wonderful photos, RUK.:-) Didn't God plant the Baobabs upside-down?;-)

Best regards,

Martin

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.