thunbergia grandiflora in a pot

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Does this vine bloom in a container? I have one in a pot and it grew very tall and high but no blooms. I am wondering if I have to transfer it to the ground to make it bloom. Any help is appreciated.

Mulberry, FL

I have a few different ones I cut the bottom out of the pot and sink it half way. If you don't do this there will be babies poping up every where. The vine has to get pretty big and it will flower. We put one at the base of a huge oak tree it grew 40 ft up and spread in the tree flowers all over very nice but it can be a pain if you allow the roots to go wild in the ground thats why you keep it in the pot and sink it. Hope this helps you won't be long and you'll have it flowering. Wouldn't hurt to fertilize it too.

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

Mine is in a pot and has bloomed most of the winter. I think I found a trick - I cut it waayyy back - and suddenly flowers started popping out. It's in a 22" pot, with a 6' obelisk, and it looked like Cousin It before I began the pruning.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

thank you both for your suggestions.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I do the same thing as danasplants- I also find that vines planted this way have a better bloom performance.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I appreciate the suggestions.
My thunbergia is in a pot by a paloverde tree since I could not dig a hole there due to the trees roots. Also the area is infested with paloverde grubs which seem to kill some plants.
I actually saw flowers this morning at the top of the vine. Unfortunate for me, the vine grew ~10ft high all the way to the top of tree. I am vertically challenged! I can barely see the flowers when I look up and probably can't find the seeds at all. I guess, unless the vine covers the entire tree, I may not be able to enjoy it. Sounds like a good vine to plant if you have a 2 story house!!Live and Learn!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes it likes to climb.. I had to remove mine as it covered my entire pear tree. (it wasn't planted by it either)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.