At last, a Carolina Jessamine that will grow in the north! '

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

At last, a Carolina Jessamine that will grow in the north! 'Margarita' extends the hardiness range of this indescribably fragrant vine all the way through zone 6 (and even into zone 5 with good winter protection), bringing the joy of evergreen foliage, abundant yellow blossoms, and easy-care habit to thousands of gardeners never before able to grow it!

My question is, What is considered "GOOD WINTER PROTECTION" for this kind of plant?
Also I would be using it to cascade on a 7-8 foot high wall. What other type of flowering plant would do well with westerly facing (afternoon) sun?
Chuck

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Probably a cage filled with lots of leaves.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Victor, would you just cover the crown?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

If it's expected to die back to the ground, then yes. You're looking to protect the roots primarily. If stem survival is possible (hard to envision once it gets tall), then I would go higher, like people do with hydrangeas.

Tuckahoe, NY

A friend of mine in nearby Bronxville NY has been growing a gelsimium, G rankinii, I believe, for some years. It is not protected in winter, and is crawling up a post. It does not die back. It is covered with yellow flowers in spring and maintains foliage thru winter as well. Our zone is borderline 6/7, rarely gets to zero in recent years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.