Post your spring Wildies for '08!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wooly Viola

Thumbnail by crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

YellowRoot

Thumbnail by crimsontsavo
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Saw these Sanguinaria canadensis / bloodroot flowers by the side of the road today

Thumbnail by claypa
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I really need to get some of those for my future native garden. Theyre so pretty!

Thorne Bay, AK(Zone 6b)

Claypa-you're ahead of me.I haven't even seen the crocuses & hyacinths bloom here yet.Just a few leaves up.

Saw this Spring Beauty / Claytonia virginica today:

Thumbnail by claypa

Dutchman's breeches / Dicentra spectabilis

Thumbnail by claypa

LOTS of trout lilies / Erythronium americanum... I think, anyway.

Thumbnail by claypa
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Very lovely Claypa, we have trout lilies in Texas too, but for a very short time.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

oh man i want some of those trout lilies! SO pretty!!

My brother was describing these plants he saw in the park, and I thought maybe trilliums or something, so I went and looked at break time. I was really surprised, I don't think I've seen trout lilies before. The ground was covered with them, so I guess they can't be too hard to grow, if they're in the right spot. They were growing under tall trees, not too far from a stream. Maybe I'll look for seeds, if I can remember...

I really liked the Dicentra. I bet they're really easy to grow, if they're anything like bleeding hearts.
One more trout lily pic:

Thumbnail by claypa

I hear that trout lilies take seven years from seed to bloom and they dye after they bloom and make seed, so if you want them blooming continuous years you have to plant seed seven years in a row.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Im thinking we may have those here. They arent blooming yet but I think I saw the leaves by my trillium and wild violets. Ill have to check it out when my rash is gone.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

A particularly nice form of trout lily, claypa. I didn't know there were any with colored petal backs.

I have never tried to grow Dutchman's breeches myself, so I can't actually say how easy they are. But I can pretty much guarantee they aren't as easy as old fashion bleeding hearts (D. spectabilis).

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We are still weeks away from the wildflowers starting, except for this one.
This Round-lobed Hepatica was found a few years back, when my SIL was camping early in our woods and raked the leaves off from it.
(they bloom hidden under the leaves)

The next year I found it and moved it to an area by the house. It has thrived.
I do have to find it under the leaves though.
I am sure there are others in the woods, (if I wanted to rake all the leaves to find them)

It has several blooms, but this is the first couple to open.

Thumbnail by cpartschick

So pretty and such a hidden treasure!!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I bet it is more open today. Should try for another picture.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

so pretty!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, just took this picture of the same plant.

Thumbnail by cpartschick

Wow! what a difference a day makes.

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Asarum canadense, first year we have got it to bloom

Thumbnail by Colquhoun
Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

Podophyllum peltatum, Mayapple.. first year it has looked health or not been hit with a late frost. I think we have finally started turning a corner, in our woodland garden.

Thumbnail by Colquhoun
NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, here's one. Nerve-Ray or Squarebud Daisy it's called. It's grows in the area (but not in my own neighborhood). For some reason it doesn't want to stick around very long if I move one or two into the yard. Putting seeds out does no good either, apparently. But I sure do like it!

Thumbnail by LindaTX8

This one just started blooming lately. Damianita, Chrysactina mexicana. The foliage is fragrant when crushed!

Thumbnail by LindaTX8
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Very pretty.

Oh, that seed I put out for the Nerve-Ray finally paid off. I found one blooming on the front slope of my property. Yay!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yay!! Get pictures! ^_^

Nerve-Ray or Squarebud Daisy, finally one came up with no help other than seeds strewn about!

Thumbnail by LindaTX8

And Marshallia caespitosa or Barbara's Buttons is blooming!

Thumbnail by LindaTX8
Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Wild bleeding heart (Dicentra eximia) and wood poppy (Stylophurum diphyllum)

Thumbnail by trillium612
Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Labrador violet

Thumbnail by trillium612
Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Mitella diphylla- bishop's cap/mitrewort

Thumbnail by trillium612
Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Thalictrum dioicum-early meadowrue with Dicentra

Thumbnail by trillium612
Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

closeup of D. eximia

Thumbnail by trillium612
Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

Anemonella thalictroides-rue anemone just opening. It could be Isopyrum. I do have difficulty with those two. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumbnail by trillium612
Portage, WI(Zone 4b)

And last but not least, everyone's favorite blubells, Mertensia.

Thumbnail by trillium612
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Nice Trill. All that is zone 4b already? That is something.

Here we always seem to go from 30's to 70's in a day, then when you get the shorts out, it is back to 30's again. Usually the plants and trees are not even fooled by the early warmth.

This year though, it stuck around even reaching 80's for 3 weeks. The plants couldn't stand it, the birds, bugs and bees, could not wait. Now, we are in the twenties this morning. I am afraid there will be lots of damage.

Walking yesterday I saw many plants at least a week early. I even found wild strawberry blossoms.
The cold is suppose to continue. These may be the only pics I get of some of my wildflowers.

Here is a trillium ready to bloom (from yesterday)

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Nice pics Trillium.

At first I was going to say your Anemonella thalictroides photo is Anemone quinquefolia, native here, but I don't think that's quite right either. But it is not A. thalictroides. Rue anemone will have multiple flowers per stem (on most flowering stems), and flowers often possess more than five petals. The leaves are also differently shaped, more like a paddle. BTW, Anemonella thalictroides is now Thalictrum thalictroides. I have a really bad pic of MN native T.t. below. Google will do much better.

So, I am wondering what that is in your photo. I suppose there could be a wide species variation of quinquefolia. But I suspect that, whereever you are, you may have a species I am not familiar with. It doesn't look like the Isopyrum biternatum (now Enemion biternatum) that is native here either.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light?

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We have wood anemone here, but yesterday I found what I think is a rue anemone on my walk in the woods. (never saw it before) It does have 3 flowers per stem, the leaves look right, but only 5 petals per flower.

Thumbnail by cpartschick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.