Tomatoes

Mountain Home, AR

Still in the process of getting that Rion up, in between thunderstorms. So I've got seedlings galore all over the house. I've always had this vision of having tomatoes and various veggies growing up the greenhouse, hanging and trellised. But i keep hearing about planting in bags or pots instead of beds. Any pros and cons on the subject? Nanadee

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

To not answer your question, I'd keep expectations low about greenhouse tomatoes, unless you're growing a variety specifically "designed" for growing in a greenhouse. "Garden-variety" tomato plants don't do as well in a greenhouse, afaik.

To answer your question =) , I've not tried bags, but I've grown plenty of peppers and tomatoes (and other veggies & herbs) in 5gal "pickle" buckets. They do great, and other than watching the water more closely, are lower maintenance. I don't think I'd want to use anything smaller than a 5gal container, though.

Container gardening rocks. Pots are *the* best place to grow mint. =)

Evergreen, CO

Try these 5 gallon bags.

http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=SBG332

Eggs_Zachtly,

I've heard this about greenhouse tomatoes. Sounds good, but I wonder if the tomatoes really know if they are in a greenhouse? What would be the limiting factors? the only thing I can think of is pollination.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Yup, tomato pollination isn't all that easy (unless, of course, you've got a handy vibration device, like.. oh... pair of bee's wings =) ). Humidity control could be an issue, also.

Fulton, MO

Min 5 gal container for GH toms. Pollinate by shaking, although I have had pollination without it. No point in growing in the GH in the summer. In the winter, lack of light and heat are biggest limitations. Toms like 16 H light, 8 H dark. Pests are a problem, particularly whiteflies for me.

Mountain Home, AR

stressbaby; Hi Speaking of pests, I read about putting screens on vents to keep out flying pests. The only ones Charleys has come in the vent and window units $$$$. Any thoughts? Does anyone use screens? We are still in the construction of the Rion mode. My DH has ripped all his hair out and is now bald.LOL Sure not easy like the guy on the Rion video says. Great day today eh? Nanadee

Fulton, MO

I use screens. I just use regular screens over my intake vents, I built the frames myself. My ridge vent came with screens. They are useful in keeping out the pests.

Mountain Home, AR

I decided to try some tomatoes in the greenhouse and out in the beds. They were doing great until the temp hit 91 and I was out for the day. The top leaves drooped like crazy. I moved them all out but they haven't recovered. The rest of the plant looks fine. Will they still produce tomatoes?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Tomatoes generally like heat, out here people who live closer to the ocean where the summers are really cool have trouble growing tomatoes because they don't get enough heat. So 91 degrees shouldn't be a problem for them, unless you mean that it was 91 outside but they were inside the greenhouse where it was a lot hotter. Generally drooping is either a sign that they need more water, or on a really hot day sometimes the roots just can't take up water fast enough so they wilt as a defense mechanism, but then they typically perk up in the evening when it cools off.

On your odds for recovery...IF your seedlings had been gradually adjusted to the conditions they were in, and IF the actual temperatures they experienced were only 91 degrees, unless there's some other cultural issue going on I don't see why they wouldn't recover. But if the outside temp was 91 but it was 150 in the greenhouse and that's where they were, then your chances are not as good. Same thing if these were seedlings that you started indoors and had just put outside or in the GH without acclimating them gradually to the light and temperature conditions outside. Either of those two things will decrease your odds, although plants are pretty tough and can often recover from brief periods of extreme stress.

Honestly for this time of year, I don't know why you would need/want to have your plants in the greenhouse, outdoors should be just fine for them. The GH is a nice way to extend the season if you want tomatoes later in the year as you asked about in your other thread, but for summer growing in a climate like yours you don't need it and it puts either a lot of stress on your wallet to keep the GH cooled appropriately, or a lot of stress on the plants being in temps way higher than what's really good for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.