Handy Husband's garden pillars

Traverse City, MI

My husband Kurt has been building cedar rose pillars for the garden (he and another fellow in our rose society are going to do a workshop with members in May and he wants to have a variety of prototypes for folks to choose from. I just love them. Some he'll paint white and others leave natural to weather I tell you, if we weren't already married (43 years) I'd marry that guy for sure!

Thumbnail by Karen4Roses
Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Those are lovely Karen!! Too bad he is already taken..BOOO-HOOO!
I would married him sight unseen just for those handy hands!! LOL!!!!
You got yourself a guy with VISION!!!
How's everything in Traverse City?? One of the great Michigan destination cities!!
COLD still eh??
Julie

Traverse City, MI

Thanks, Julie. You're right - he's taken and I'm keepin'. Here's a picture of some arbors he's building in his woodshop right now. By the way, this past weekend was in the 60s and we were in heaven! Lost lots of snow. But it's cool and rainy now. I'll be patient; we do need the rain.

Thumbnail by Karen4Roses
Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Those Arbors are beautiful too!
Well tell him a few more pictures and he'll have orders for work from our DG family!! Lots of people here would love those arbors!
They are wonderful...What a Guy!
My "guy" is a fellow I hired. He also does lovely work but alas! I have to put out cash you can "Barter" with your carpenter!! LOL!! I will post pictures sometime. He has made me a Pergola , an arbor, 4 screens and well lots of other stuff! He is currently making me a 52' long screen 52'x10', well in 4 parts!
I have 30 clematis coming and I am full up in the yard!! That will put me well over 100 clems!!
I know, I am loosing it!
Julie

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Those are really NICE!
Gee Karen, I should join your rose club.
You guys always do the coolest things
and it would be an excuse to go to TC more often.

Lucky you to have such a handy hubby.
Mine has no desire to do those types of projects. :(
He excels at hunting deer, watching football and drinking beer.
~sigh~
He does dig rose plantin' holes for me though! ;o)

Hey Julie...at least you have a hired hand!

Traverse City, MI

Vicky - you CAN join our rose society. It's only $15 a year and you get an 8-page newsletter every month and are welcome to any of our activities whenever you're up here. Check out our website - www.tcroses.org. We have some members as far away as New York - they just join for the newsletter.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2008 7:15 AM

Hey I think I will join! :)
I'd like to get your newsletter.
Plus you have interesting events unlike the rose club in our area.

Traverse City, MI

Great, Vicky! (by the way, we're going to have to hire you for the Old Mission Peninsula Chamber of Commerce!). There's a membership form right on our website.

Karen

LOL ;o)
Well who can help but ramble on about such an enchanted place!
You are BLESSED to be able to live there! I'm SOOO jealous!

Maple City, MI(Zone 6a)

Those are gorgeous! He should be selling them for sure! I am going to try and make one of the pillars but i'm quite sure mine will not look as good! lol

-Kim

Traverse City, MI

Kim, you're close by. Why don't you just come to our May 15 meeting/workshop? Kurt's trying to keep the cost of materials under $10 and you'll get to take your own home that night. We're meeting at my house/garden at 6:30 p.m. D-Mail me if you're interested and I'll send you directions to our place.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

WOW!! Can you send your guy to our area!! a 10.00 rose arbor that looks that good !! That is like Christmas!!! It costs 10.00 just for plans!! Fabulous!!
Wish i lived closer...
I would definitely be there!
Yes Vickie,i have a man who has done everything for my home and car inside and out for the last 20 years.
He put in my watering system, built me a new garage and deck, put beautiful plaster ceilings in my home!!
There is almost nothing he can't do!! He likes to work for a bout 6 of us women who are single. Mostly because he doesn't have to hurry . We let him take his time and i can tell you that is his worse trait!
Sometimes you may wait a yaer for him to finish a project but finish he does!!
I'll send a couple of pic.s of his work!!
Julie
Here's a picture of a bathroom ceiling he put in my house!

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Here's a Pergola He built for me!
He does such nice work i just adore him!
I gave him 4 columns I bought at an Antique show and told him to make me something interesting!!
This is what I got!!

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
Traverse City, MI

Sorry, Jazzy - that's a $10 rose PILLAR - the arbor cost quite a bit more in cedar wood. Keep that handyman of yours - he sounds fabulous and is work is truly wonderful

This message was edited Apr 11, 2008 10:23 AM

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Ok one last brag for my carpenter who is more artist than anything else!!
I am sending a picture of plaster work he made for my living room. I have a 140 year old house and before i bought it the people could find no one to repair the plaster work so they tore most of it down. i decided i would take it upon myself to replace it as best as i could. My handy friend learned how to throw plaster in the old way and cut his own metal knives to create these beautiful moldings in all the rooms in my home where it was missing. Here is the ceiling in the living room.
Ok I won't brag about my carpenter any more but I know without his handi work in my home for the last 20 years this home would have been very different indeed!
Julie

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow either way the cost is very reasonable!! I really did think something was wrong with a whole arbor for 10.00!! Wow even a Rose pillar for that cost is very good!
I have been wanting to make some. I have about 10 pillar roses I wanted to display better on a pillar.
I'll have to work on that this spring. That is unless i am up your way and you have extras for sale!!
Well thanks for sharing. I do love your Hubbys craftmanship!
Julie

Traverse City, MI

Julie,

My husband may be drawing up pillar diagrams for those who can't attend the meeting. If so, I'll get you a copy. And if you're ever up this way, I'd love to have you stop in. My roses, and I, love company. I can share a glass of our wonderful Old Mission wine with you!

Karen

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Girl You did it now!! I used to represent General Wine and Liquor in downtown Detroit restaurants.
Little was made of Michigan wine at the time. But I know now that the Mission wines have a good
notoriety and reputation!! They really came into their own. Sadly it was way after my hay days in the wine business.
Ok so do you have a favorite you can share since I know so little about them?
I do happen to like reds but I have been known to drink anything with "....Wine" on the label!!
Hey you only go around once!!!
LOL!
Thanks for offer of a pillar diagram!! I'll swap you something or would you rather i just send Green...
as in money??
LOL! Either I'm IN!!
Thank You,
Julie

OH ....MYYYYY....GOOOOSH!!!
Julie your living room ceiling work and crown molding is insane gorgeous! The bathroom ceiling too! WOW! (drooling)
Your house looks gorgeous and how blessed you are to have such a talented handiman!
Please post more pics.

Traverse City, MI

Jazzy - just keep sending pretty pictures of your garden and send you the pillar diagrams. We have 9 vineyards on Old Mission Peninsula now, with some really outstanding wines. Peninsula Cellars winery took an international award on one of their whites - beat out France & California on that one!

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Vickie and Karen,
Thanks for the kudos! Thanks for the wine info! I'll have to try it when I have someone to drink with! But I will try to have a bottle here just in case!!
Vickie I have a 140 year old Italianate Victorian House...a 'money pit' to be sure!!
More work than beauty lately! But my carpenter has been working with me for about 20 years and has really brought the beautiful plaster work back to this house. I've done a project almost every year and I still have a few rooms that have NOT been done. I have to have my yearly garden money!! It is my guilty pleasure to be able to buy what "I" WANT not what I need!! So the kitchen waits and so does a greenhouse
But i will post pic's. through the season and i hope you all do to. We all have wonderful gardens to share and each one I see gives me new Vision for my own yard!!
Thanks for the kind words,
Julie

Well Julie...you have my dream house.
I love old homes with all their character and charm.
Thats really nice that you can restore it even if one baby step at a time.
My husband works with a guy that restored a Victorian home and it is indeed quite a project and can consume ones life. Glad you're taking time to "smell the roses". Oh ya that gazebo or whatever it is is very unique and cool too!

I'd love to have a greenhouse. My project list is so long for one that only works 20 hours a week....new Morton garage, deck on back of house, finish remodeling bedrooms & livingroom, new living room and bedroom furniture, remodel duck barn and finish breeding pens, Milky Spore for 5 acres...etc....etc.
I need MORE money! ALOT more money! LOL

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

OHHHHH Vickie I hear That ... OK lets all say it together ...
MORE MONEY! MORE MONEY!!!!
UH, Vickie I think it is a useless chant especially when we have been spending on those co-ops like drunken sailors!!! I don't think I missed any!! I got gloves, pots, pens, markers, Messenger, P-touch tape,
Water-Sorb, bulbs, perennials, annuals, Tropicals, seed, fertilizer, ....
Oh and if that wasn't enough I bought 5 yards of composted manure (sitting in my driveway)
30 bags miracle grow, potting mix, garden soil, & bagged manure. I also got 4 new racks , heat mats,
seed trays, florescent lights and bulbs, timers, ceramic pots, and OH MY!!!
I have gone to the other side!!
How about YOU???

Julie... you are CRAZY!!! LMBO

Now here's a garden piece I am SO jealous of!
Renae Ludema of Ludema's Nursery in GR (one of my favorite haunts) has this in her rose display garden. Not just the statue but look closely at the structure behind it. LUV IT!

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

look at all those gh's behind it all

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori!! Your eyes are suppose to stop at the beautiful Greek/ Roman statue and Facade!!
Oh, there is Dori checking out the green house...LOL!!
You don't miss a trick Dori!!
I never would have seen them !!
Like laser vision!!
But it is quite lovely.
So are the green houses Dori!!!
NICE!!

Sand Lake, MI

Where is Ludema's in GR, cottagerose? I am always looking for a new place to shop and that is one I haven't heard of.

Bizzie
Its south of 28th St. on Eastern.
Just past 32nd St. on the left.
Its one of my favorite nurseries.

Sand Lake, MI

Thanks, will have to check them out. I work on that end of town so it's not too far out of the way.

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

OK-If Julie & Karen can sedn their handy guys to me I would appreciate it-DH has no skills like that sadly, so all I can do is either dream about them and pay insane prices for things that are generic:( I am begging for a handy man-please hel me-Julie-you are getting puppy dog eyes all day Friday!!

Fairy...I'm married to one of those types too. :(
Great guy but a total zero when it comes to making or repairing thing.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

My dh is the one in a million you hear about-i found him!!! He can fix or make anything and he is the greatest man i ever met!!!!

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I need a handy man in the garden! But after attending the workshop at karen4roses i wont need help anymore!!!

Why Flowrgirl?!...did you steal Karen's hubby?

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Not yet!!!

Dori-tell your DH to bring his tools w/ him on Friday!!!LOL

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Gals,
i'll be seeing all of you on Friday i hope... Who all is coming Fairy??
Is 10 am still start time?? Do you still want a 6' table...?
Anything else??? Oh don't worry i still have your list Fairy!!
Julie

Julie-table, coleus and pots-I sent an email to everyone and so far Sharon is they only one that got back to me on it(need input for food)....got the echies today, TNN tomorrow and fighting with GC!! As soon as you can get here on Fir is fine-so 10 am it is-I think Dan, Connie, Sharon and Loretta will be here about 9 and then you and Dori are coming as soon as you can in the am-figure you about 10 and Dori shortly there after...Connie is bringing DH and so is Dori, Loretta is bringing her sis and niece and Sharon is bringing her daughter until about noon-then will tke her to a friends here in town...Angel will be over about 3 when she gets off work...

Posted a pic of the echies on the payment thread-bigger than I had thought and VERY healthy looking!!

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Stacey,
I AM posting you!! I saw the pics. of the echies!! NICE!!! DROOL!!!
YES, YES!! Table, pots ( 16 was all right??)
I have to give you the bad news...
Ok well good news first!!
I will bring the 6 Inky fingers, 4, Red roof.
But I have NO Blackies, no Confetti, no Samanthas, no Trailing Reds, no Christmas Candy!!!
Some are getting to Lorraines tomorrow and don't know what I was thinking I won't have them to bring!!
I am also bringing some yellow 48" asiatics lilys to share with everyone!!
I am bringing my drinks and for food i will bring my own. You can provide Ice!!!
LOL!! See you then!
julie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

just sent u a email!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.