Unusual looking iris to ID

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't know if it's possible to id this iris. It's weird looking. haven't a clue, the tag is gone, and it must have been too young to bloom last year, it's a couple years old for sure. and haven't a clue if it's sdb, bb, or what ever LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Kathy Ann, are those beards on the falls? I can't tell from that distance.

That looks like an iris that's been hit by herbicide drift this spring. Did you or a neighbor use RoundUp or other similar herbicide this year? If so, it may be impossible to ID your iris until it blooms normally next year. Herbicide poisoning not only affects flower form but can bleach and alter flower color, as well.

If there was no chance of herbicide poisoning, sometimes severe freeze during stalk development can have similar effects on flower form and color.

Laurie

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, now that you mentioned it, It's planted right next to some mint that I rounded up this early spring. so I guess it may indeed have some damage to it. I can't tell by looking at it if it has any falls either.

I'll just wait till I get a better flower, I see another one about to bloom, but it may be just like this one.

thanks for the help

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That explains it, then. It doesn't take much more than a whiff of Roundup to do really funky things to iris flowers. The good news is that as long as the plants don't get hit with Roundup again next year, they should bloom normally then.

Laurie

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

ok, thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.