Baobab seeds and sprouting them

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I started 4 baobab seeds about a month ago. I nicked all of them to the white layer under the surface, set them in hot (130F) tap water. One floated, the others sank, all seemed to swell. I planted all about an inch down in potting soil, and put them on a bright windowsill.

Nothing has happened. What do I do next? Try a more vigorous scrape (I just don't want to kill the things)? Boil them? Eat them, and fish them out of my waste? Go find an elephant? Find some hydrofluoric acid? Take a belt sander to them? Or toss them out as unviable?

Rob

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Hello Rob,

You need to pour boiling water over the seeds - then let them soak in water for a day or two and finally sow them (need adequate warmth). This way they should germinate in around 48 hours.

Best regards,

Martin

Would you suggest using bottom heat or a lamp to provide greater heat than room temperature?

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

I would suggest temperatures above 80 F. I am not sure whether the seeds need light to germinate or not. I germinate nearly all seeds (including Adansonia sp.) on my sunny windowsill with bottom heat. Works fine.

Best regards,

Martin

Excellent. Thanks for your post.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.