crocus decimation (& I know the 1 in 10 definition)

Newtonville, MA

my crocuses, in Newton, MA, are suddenly being eaten off at ground level at night just when they're about to bloom. does anybody else have this problem this year? i don't think it's squirrels or chipmunks (although they're rampant) or it would happen during the day as well. has anyone seen rabbits in Newtonville?

Pequannock, NJ

I live in Jersey, and have the same problem. It's rabbits!!!!!!!! I have used Liquid Fence to keep them away and it really works, but it REALLY stinks.

Newtonville, MA

thanks. I'll try that. I don't care how much it stinks...I just want those things away from my plants. crocuses can really cheer you up when the March winds start blowing. btw, rabbits just seem like huge bags of tularemia. they totally creep me out

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, with the first glimmer of spring, come the first crocuses, nearly ready to bloom, and CHOMP, it's gone. Mine was chomped off so smoothly, I thought it was from a bigger mouth, like a deer.

Harper

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

tufe, do you have cats? We have rabbits (and everything else, except bears!) out here in Medway. My neighbor across the street is having rabbits eat everything in his yard. I haven't had a problem.

My theory is that my three cats keep them away. My neighbor has indoor cats. Anyone else have a comment on my theory?

(njjpl - watch the naughty words - I'm the unofficial NE Forum Censor! :^] )

Newtonville, MA

i do have cats but they're indoor

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I'm afraid I have to eat my words! Since my last post, I've had tulip leaves chomped on. So I immediately went out and bought Liquid Fence. njj, you were right - that is the foulest smelling stuff in the world! I can see why it would keep critters away!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.