Something is eating my plants!!!!! Help!

Buford, GA

This afternoon, I got home with the kids and after dinner, we went outside to play. We love the longer daylight hours. Much to my horror....most of the petunias and verbenas I planted last week, have been eaten into certain oblivian. Half of these are in our 6' (high) fenced backyard. I expect this in the front, as we live in an area with lots of deer and such, but what is getting in the back? Rabbits?
After I gathered myself and my kids had recovered from my screams, I got out the deer and rabbit spray. Now, I have only used this once before, and I don't know how well it worked. Tonight, I can tell you, we all went running. That stuff is noxious! My Lord! It is the worst smell I have ever been exposed to. My dog didn't even want to go out after that.
Please tell me there is another answer. And please tell me what it is.
Thanks!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It could be deer or rabbits or something else (was there any deer tracks?). If it isn't insects, then put bird netting over it until you can come off with a better solution. Deer can easily jump over 6 foot fences and rabbits can come through openings in the fence if the openings are big enough. The joys of gardening. Supposedly low electric fencing will keep most critters out if you want to go that route.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

My bet is deer or rabbits too.

Rabbits have been more of a problem for me. I actually saw something very strange today. I was walking the property making mental notes for planting purposes. In one of my raised beds, it looked like something burrowed from under my mulch and literally sat down and rubbed it's butt in a big circle on the ground.

It was truly bizarre and I'm curious as to what it was. I'll have to take a picture

BB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.