Cedar Tree Problem

Waxhaw, NC

Can anyone identify this (disease?) I found on a few of the cedar trees in my backyard?
I really appreciate the help.

Thumbnail by NEMESS
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

That just looks dead to me. What your see is after the death. Many people are much better at this stuff than I am so lets see what they say.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

ooh

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

It is probably not so dire a situation. LOL I have a suspicion the orange stuff is just a fungal growth on the tree. If it is a harmful fungus or not, and some of them are perfectly harmless, I can't say.

Your picture is very clear and shows the condition well. If it were my tree I would print out that picture of the bark and take it to my local extension office and have the agent ID it and offer recommendations.

Reidsville, NC

It's called Cedar-apple rust. it occurs after a rainy period in the spring. After the rain stops the spores travel through the air sometimes up to a mile and affect other cedars, crab apples and junipers. I have noticed it on my cedars a well.

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/omcar.html

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

so is a fungicide in order here?

Reidsville, NC

I think so. It is hard for me to believe that will even work for me. We had so much rain in a short period of time and our tree limbs were covers with this orange slimy fungus. It has since dried.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

What I'm seeing in that picture is some grren stuff on a limb, bark peeling off with what looks like a wood pecker hole. Whatever the wood peckers are after in the main trunk of a tree worries me. They almost always go for dead wood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.