Pineneedle basket for Irises

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

TEMPORARILY CLOSED

This thread is temporarily closed until I get caught up with the 9 baskets I need to make. I will reopen this when I am caught up. Thank you for your great response.

I haven't any plants to trade with just yet but I am very interested in getting a few nice rhizomes and I will make you a pineneedle basket. If you are interested please let me know before the list gets too long. Hehehe

here are some samples of the baskets I've made

This message was edited Apr 8, 2008 7:11 AM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

and Here are a couple more

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Gourd, are you interested in named or un-named varieties? I could give you some starting with dwarf, SDB and TB iris. How many would you require for a basket and what size would the basket be?
Colors would be most all colors.

Maxine

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Named or unnamed make no difference. They are for my enjoyment and nobody elses. I would like six for a small basket diameter approx 4"and 12 for a larger one, diameter about 7". How does that sound?
Jan

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Ok, but you are going to have to wait so I can see if everything is growing well, before I send it out to you.

Where are you located in Ore.?
I lived and went to high school at Gates, Ore. and worked at the capital until I moved back to Wisc.
Came to see my grandparents on vacation and never went back.

Maxine

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

We are in the coastal area near Newport. We are inland about 6 miles so we don't get pummeled with the coastal winds. It is also a tad bit warmer here.
Jan

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Will need your address in about 3 weeks.
Mine is in Daves under Maxine.

Maxine

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine is under Gourdbeader but here you go
Jan MacKay
174 NW 10th St
Toledo, OR 97391

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I will have to close this until I get caught up. Thank you for the great response. I will reopen this when I get the last 9 baskets made.
Jan

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

When you get time would be interested in details of making the pine needle baskets.
Type of needles, etc.
Should tell you that I have a log home.

Later, Maxine

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Maxine, what is it that you wanted to know? I would be happy to explain anything I can for you. How wonderful, a log home. Pineneedle baskets should fit right in then.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Would you mind putting either blue [my favorite color], green or lavender beads on the ones you send to me.

We never did clarify how many iris rhizomes you wanted for one of your baskets?
I don't know what they sell for or if you sell any?

Maxine

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Sure I can do that. A small basket would run about $25 about the size of a soft ball. A larger one say the size of a dinner plate can run anywhere from $50 and up. If you go on ebay a look at pineneedle baskets you can get a good idea of there worth. They are a fine art and take time and effort to put together. Basket weaving has always been of such interest to me. I truly enjoy making them and since I had majoy hand surgery last year it has been a big accomplishment to be able to do it again. I also bead gourds, hence my name, Gourdbeader. I will show you a coupl of photos of baskets small and large and one of my beaded gourds.
I will be glad to add the beads to your basket no matter what size you decide on.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Softball size basket

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Dinner plate size basket. This basket has a leather tooled bottom that I no longer have access to but I would do a woven bottem instead.
I used to work for a famous holster and saddle maker named William Brown in Tombstone, AZ. He made a lot of the holsters for Famous western actors such as Gene Autry, John Wayne just to mention a few that he did work for.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

That dinner plate size one is absolutely drop dead gorgeous!

MY daughter used to work in a shop repairing shoes in Auburn, Ca. and she was so good at it, that she repaired shoes for lots of people [cow boy boots] that cost in the thousands of dollars.

Oh my gosh, your gourd is so nice. What details, and time it must have taken both for it and the baskets.
I sew quilts, so I know the time involved in hand crafts, especially quality items.

Will you trust me on amount of iris for 1 each of the small and dinner plate size baskets?
I sure don't want to cheat you out of anything.

Maxine

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, Sure, so long as you don't mind the wait. Now the large one I have made is oval and also has a lid. Are you looking for a basket or more of a box type?

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

What ever you wish to do. I am not fussy. Small round basket, so guess the larger one should be a square?

Maxine

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Hehehe, no, I was just stating that the one in the picture was oval. I usually make them round. Sorry to confuse the situation. When I said box I meant did you want a lid for the larger one too. Jewelry box style vs bowl style.

Raleigh, NC

pine needle basket making is also an old North Carolina/South Carolina indian/slave art form. I didn't realize that it's also in the pacific NW!

if you reopen your cheque, I'd be there! But I've got some more expensive irises, like Schreiners ones. Some of these even now go for $10-20 each, and others that go for less.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Gourdbeader, I would love to have one of the larger size baskets. Please let me know whenever you get to it. I can wait. They are gorgeous, and I can send you 12 iris, easily. Thank you for your future work! Just dmail me when the time comes.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Bonjon,
I didn't know that about it being a slave art form. I guess most art form started somewhere. I really enjoy basket making and I guess I am a slave to the art.
That being said, did you want one of the baskets? It will be a little while before I get caught up with the orders I already have but I would be glad to make one for you then. Get back in touch with me in a few weeks.

Flowrlady,
I will be happy to make you one if you don't mind waiting a bit. I have been overwhelmed with orders and I need to get caught up first before I accept any more. Please get back with me in a few weeks.
Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.