Black spots on Tricyrtis

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

I was excited to see new spring growth on my Miyazaki Tricyrtis; however, it wasn't long till I noticed black spotting on them. Is this indicative of a virus or disease? Any suggestions on possible causes/treatment? Thank you.

Huntersville, NC

I am having the same problem with my tricyrtis. let me know if you find out anything :)

When I came across this article last fall, I was concerned that my plant may be infected as the flowers were mottled very much like the one photo in the article. However, at that time, the leaves did not have black spots on them...those appeared this spring. Not sure if it's one and the same issue, but I've a hunch that I should just pull the plant up and destroy it as I don't want it to infect the 'Blue Wonder.' The two plants are less than 10 feet away from each other.

http://www.perennialnursery.com/tricyrtisvirus.html

I sent an email to Hallson Gardens asking if the small black spots are another symptom of the virus...will share any feedback.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Plantmover, I'll be interested to see what you find out. I have a couple in my garden and it would be good to have a heads up on things to watch out for.

Here's the feedback:

The particular virus that we found only showed symptoms in the flowers. The spots may just be normal as many different toad lilies have spotted foliage.

Hope that helps.

Chris Wilson
Hallson Gardens
http://www.perennialnursery.com

hmm, I'm not sure what to think...planting those two last fall is my only experience with tricyrtis. Despite the black spots, the plant seems to be coming along just fine.

Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge will be able to shed some light on this.

Edit: more knowledgeable than me, that is!

This message was edited Apr 29, 2008 1:21 PM

Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I notice the same spots on my foliage. But as it has grown, the spots have faded somewhat. Yesterday was the first time I'd heard of the virus and I've got an order of Raspberry Mousse on the way. Guess that was money thrown away!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

plantmover, miatablu gave me the link to this thread to see if I could shed any light on your problem. As Chris indicated, some of the Tricyrtis do have spots on their foliage, more of a mottling, but Miyazaki is usually not one of them. I have heard of the virus problem with Tricyrtis, but it hasn't concerned me since it seems that it's more of a problem with flower color not being true than something that will actually kill the plant. The flowers are so pretty I really don't care what color they are, although I guess I would be disappointed if I was expecting yellow and got something different :) Can you take any pictures of the black spots? That might help identify what the problem could be. I'll be gone until the first of the week, but I'll check back...when I get a chance I'm going to have to check the Tricyrtis in our gardens and see if there are any problems! LOL

Debbie

Thank you, Debbie! I agree, the flowers are pretty, mottling and all. I'm gonna feel pretty silly if those spots are supposed to be there. Now I'm also questioning if I've confused the 'Miyazaki' with the 'Blue Wonder'. At any rate, neither had black spots on them when I planted them last fall.

I checked the underside of the leaves but for the most part, the spots mostly appear on the top side. A couple of the more mature leaves at the base had some spottiness on the underside but not as distinct, as if the spots were spreading and fading out.

Look forward to your response!

Thumbnail by plantmover

Perhaps it's the morning light, but the spots don't seem as dark now either...

Thumbnail by plantmover

And one more...

Thumbnail by plantmover

I went back to the plant files to take another look at pix, focusing on leaves this time. Check out henryr10's pic...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/89415/

Perhaps the spotting is normal and just more noticeable in spring? Was I so taken by the flowers that I failed to see the spots?! {blush}

I sent a D-mail to henryr10...and here's his response (he ok'd posting it):

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)
April 30, 2008
3:56 PM
Thanks!
I love shooting toads.

The hirtas all have some spots.
More some years than others.
It could be the weather or nutrients.
I wouldn't worry about them as it's not diseased.
Watch for mutations on the 'Miyazaki' they like to sport a lot.
I'm getting bi-colored blooms on some now..... well last Fall.... lol!

Ric

Raleigh, NC

If it helps, mine, too, are spotted, and it seems to be normal....

Oh yes, it helps because I was ready to yank the poor plant out by the roots--thanks yotedog!

Raleigh, NC

Saw about 50 of them at a local (and reputable) nursery today--all spotted, everyone of them. They said it was normal...Any botanists want to chime in here?

Huntersville, NC

That's so interesting. I know mine was not spotted at all on the leaves last year, but the spots this year don't seem to be hindering its growth at all. They seem to be fading a little, too.

Raleigh, NC

I'm wondering if its something they do either early in the season, or at maturity, as mine, too, were not spotted last year when I planted them....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.