Vine Suggestions For Part Shade Please

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a vine/climber for an area of the garden that gets only morning sun...probably will get sun from about 8:30-11 am. DH just picked up some lumber and lattice today to build a 6' high by 9' wide privacy screen for our patio. I'd love something with flowers, doesn't matter if it's an annual or a perennial. I'd rather have something with bright flowers than pastel...or something more interesting and unusual. I'm not into honeysuckle or hoyas (but I think those need more sun anyway). So, what will meet all of this AND grow quickly? I'm not at all demanding, am I? LOL!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Heather

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

How about clematis? They come in lots of colors and different blooming seasons.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Most of the Clematis I've seen are for full sun, but shade on the roots...or am I missing something?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi,
there are some varieties that are more shade tolerant and I am including the list. Please take a look. I can't think of any other vines that would suit your needs.
http://store.chalkhillclematis.com/clematisforshade.html

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

OooOOOoohh, nice list! Thank you! I'm thinking about planting two different Clematis with the same pruning times (so I don't have to worry about trying to keep straight which one I'm clipping), but have them have different blooming times. Now to just decide which ones and/or colors to put together.

Thanks so much!!!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I am glad I can help. I like the way you think.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, that is a great list from Chalk Hill! I didn't realize there were so many clematis that are shade tolerant. I'll have to try some of them!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I had no idea either. I thought all Clematis were full sun but needed shaded roots. I guess we DO learn something new everyday! :-)

I'm still having a hard time deciding which ones to get. I did a Google search for "partial shade Clematis" and I just can't believe all the gorgeous ones there are to choose from. DH has made the screen already and it has 3 pieces to it. Each piece is 4' wide and 6' high. He just has to put them in place, which isn't a big deal. He bought hinges the other day so he can hook them to each other, then I guess one end will be attached to the house....we're thinking about high winds blowing them over and trying to avoid that.

I'm wondering if I should get 3 Clematis and plant one for each screen, or if I should just get 2 and plant them on the end screens and let them mix together on the center one. Oh, decisions, decisions!

I did play around with the idea of doing red, white and blue...but then decided not to. I'm really liking Nelly Moser, I've had my eye on that one for a few years now. Multi Blue is also very nice and is a double...ooooh la la! I think those two may bloom at the same times though...but if I understand things correctly about the only time they aren't in bloom is during July. I guess I could handle one month or so without blooms. I'm also thinking that since Nelly is a bright pink and Multi is blue (of course) that if I put a third one in the mix I may do a bright yellow.

Any ideas out there? Maybe I should just forgo the whole mixing idea and just plant 3 of the same one? It just sounds so pretty though to have the different colors mixed. Sheesh, such a hard decision...you'd think I was picking a paint color for the walls or something, LOL!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's Nelly Moser on PlantFiles....don't ya just love PlantFiles? They are the best thing since sliced bread!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/694/

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's Multi Blue...it's one of those mauve-blue flowers being somewhere between blue and purple and just plain gorgeous.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56232/

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Now I'm going to look for a nice yellow to put with them to see what y'all think...

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

You know, I thought for certain that I had seen some yellow Clematis, but now that I'm looking for them I just found some info that said there's only one yellow Clematis...and it doesn't look like a regular Clematis, so that's not an option. Hmmm, now what?

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm thinking about maybe using Sunset....

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/88943/

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Winter Park, FL

Greetings ...........

Remember - little is good ........ does not mean more is better! Clematis grow to large size with good care; they also bloom on old wood. I would think that two would be more than adequate. So many people overplant - with no thought of what the end result will be when the plantings mature. Give it some thought!

John

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

heathroy, sounds like you have an interesting plan. I hope you post some pics this summer!

I took a book out of the Library last summer on Clematis and they had a chapter on clematis combinations. Very interesting. And lots of good tips on how to bring out the best in each clematis as far as color and form and growing conditions. if you ever go to the Library you might want to look at it. It was a book exclusively on clematis by an English fellow and very good photos in it too. Maybe I can find a reference to it if you're interested.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them! I was thinking about the less is more approach, but I don't know. On PlantFiles the Nelly and Multi are to be spaced 15"-18" but the Sunset is 4'-6'. Quite a difference there! I'm wondering if someone made a boo-boo on the info. Do you really think that 3 Clematis is too much for a 12' wide space? I really don't want to have to wait 5 years for it to fill in...the screen they will be covering is for privacy from the street. If it does turn out to be too much couldn't I cut one back (or wait till it's dormant) and move it? Hmmm...more decisions!!

I never thought about looking up info on Clematis combos. I think I'm going to do that here shortly. I really doubt my library would carry that book...we are such a small town that most of the books in our library are for the kids in school. I'm sure I can find something on the net though. Thanks for the idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.