Join Us! Seed Swap Seed Starting & Conversation #10

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

New thread.... Here's where we came from ==> #9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/828967/

Thumbnail by tcs1366
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks, tcs. And, there is our mascot...Ms Piggy. Cute, as can be. : )

Wind, thanks for the sympathy, I feel much better, now. Crazy wagon. : )
~Lucy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I am glad your seedlings made it, Lucy . . . but can you do you now have a cartload of NOIDs? That might make planting out very interesting :-)

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Morning all!

Instead of snow we got two days of sunshine and five trays of seedlings have been banished to the big outdoors. Unfortunately I forgot to open the little greenhouse this morning and it's in full sun. Hope they won't cook in there....

A little late, but about seedlings that won't grow true leaves but don't die either: they need a little food. Put them in potting compost meant for container plants, which usually contains food for six weeks, and they'll romp away!

Fairy, Evansiana germinated (4 out of 5 seeds) but only one seedling really grows well (I think, I haven't seen them for a while as they kind of go up in the masses of babies that are still sitting on the window sill). The rest is taking their time!

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

good morning :)

I got our hummer feeders up and all those Easter flowers planted. Also, we direct sowed these seeds over the weekend: weez's Japanese green mizuna mustard greens and mache/corn salad valerianella locusta, my friend Linda's black-seeded simpson lettuce, seeds I had of Chicago red beet hybrid and bloomsdale long-standing spinach, and frausnow's oakleaf and buttercrunch lettuce :)

I used up the first batch of cups in transplants already, bought another pkg this weekend...now I'm out of soil, will have to go buy more!

Tuink, I was just thinking about food...esp. after seeing Dryad's happy bunch. I'm wondering what type of soil people are using for your transplants? I just used the same promix I used to start the seeds, but was wondering if it has enough nutrients? ...so I just started feeding my larger seedlings.

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

Star-you should have a button at the top of the word document in your toolbar that is for adding a spreadsheet-if you hover your mouse over it it says "insert Microsoft Excel Spredsheet" It looks likle a little tiny spreadsheet and has an X over it. Then you just copy the content of the one you have saved and paste it into the sheet on your Word Doc.-hope that helps...or go to "INSERT" and select worksheet form the dropdown menu if you can't find the little icon on the toolbar...

Tuink-Do you remember how long it took to germ???

Fairy, 2-3 weeks. But I sowed it inside at a hight temperature.....

I have mine inside, in a metal bread pan on the neat vent-had the staminea the same way & is germ in a few days!!

Thanks for the info on the soil-I had a couple that werent' prgressing, so that helps!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Tuink, good morning! It's not too late for good advice. I have several that are just sitting there. I have been putting some dilute liquid fert in when I water, but some haven't needed watering much yet. Maybe they need to get out of the flat.

wind, I am going to plant frausnow's oakleaf lettuce today, along with some mini pak choi and bunching onions. supposed to be a nice day again today. no overnight freezes expected for the next week...rain off & on. I'm stopping for more cups today.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I have been trying to get in all morning and couldn't if I have another virus I am going to be soo PPPPPPPPPPPPP!

On a happier note my New England Aster has germinated! I'm soo excited!

Suzy, I think you misunderstood when I was asking what to plant with the cannas lol I'll just put my geraniums in a pot, yes :) Did you ever decide what to put with the cannas? LOL Big lots has all kinds of those lighter containers but they are just as much as in the other stores!

Fairy & Star, what is the purpose of putting the excel sheet into word document, what am I missing out on here? :)

tcs, those fennel seeds should be there by now :)

Lucy, soo sorry about your spill!

I'm trying to raise windows in here today and can't my wrist is hurting too bad! Carpel tunnel (sp) :(

I'm putting a lot of other plants out today, my yellow bells don't like downstairs they don't want to stand up straight! I hate to take them outside and forget I have them out there because if it gets cold I'm not sure they can take it but I'm putting them out anyway, wish me luck LOL

This is the time of year when I just get frustrated when dad wants to go out and eat because it's so nice outside, I know he wants to get out but I have soo much to do so guess I'll have to take him out tonite, this is when my sister would come in handy if she was around!!! But no where to be seen!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>tcs, those fennel seeds should be there by now :)

ROFLMBO !! yes, they should be.

I still dont have a lot of germination... some, but not as much as i did last year at this time.

It just makes it easier to have text-it is usually a small spreadsheet and usually w/ autocalc and is used for presentations a lot of the time or school...

Also, not just your puter, I had issues getting into DG all moring and kept getting kicked out...

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Fairy, I couldn't get in to DG all day either, looks like whatever was causing it is straightened out now.

I stopped off to pick up some flats and inserts and I ended up breaking down and buying a heat mat! I haven't had any luck with a few seeds that probably need that extra warmth, so now I can try it out and see if it helps.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Dave was working with the new servers earlier today... something like that... plus he comment about being Monday... guess traffic must be heavier and the site slows... but yes, it was a bear mid-morning.

I was thinking there was some site testing going on, I had the same delays in signing on this morning.

I have a little clump of yellow cowslip blooming in the hummer garden. I keep meaning to snap a photo to post. I was hoping it would spread but it doesn't seem to.

Cayenne pepper seedlings just started today, other than that not too much more going on at the moment. Well, if I only had more time....alot of seedlings are in dire need of transplanting!!!!!!

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Wind-Thanks again for the white habenero-They have germinated and are beginning their new lives as plants! Hi all! Back is a little better and I got "paperwork" for the business done today-you know it is frustrating when you can't bend-my seedlings aren't being as babied as they were! I'l touch base soon!-Kath

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hey! I wondered where everybody went!

A beautiful day in the neighborhood today!!!!!!!!!!! Tuink, Good news about yor weather! On the seedlings that just sit there with cotyledons only, do you want me to transplant them into a mix with fertilizer? Even at the 2-leaf stage? Or fertilize the mix they're in because they are so small? They have been the same size now for about 3 weeks. (Delphiniums, which are heavy feeders)

Diana/Wind, The Promix, if it's ProMix BX doesn't have any food in it. Seedlings ned to be fed, but yo uhave to be so careful! Some fertilizers, even at 1/4 strength, will burn &/or kill seedlings. Keep the Nitrogen number under 10 on the product you use, and then dilute it to 1/4 strength. (I used 18-18-18 Mighty Plant once at 1/4 strength, and burned and killed everything I watered that day, so I am especially careful -- it was a LOT of seedlings!)

My back is killing me, but I did get 10 big pots filled with a free draining, and yet moisture retentive soilless mix. Fingers crossed it will retain enough moisture, though.

Lea, I'm sorry, I thought we were talking out Geraniums all this time...on the cannas, I am planting three of the same kind in a pot and calling it a day.

Dryad as talking about low 30s later this week, but NOAA and weather.com have revised the forecast WARMER! Yay! We still have a chance of snow, but it comes with a low of 35 or 37 (depending on who you believe) so I doubt anything will come of it.

I have misplaced some seeds I really want to find; I have lost some pots of sown seeds I really want to find. LOL! I *know* I sowed them and I cannot find them anywhere! Other than that, things are going well.

HOW SOON CAN I PLANT OUT MOONFLOWER VINE? Does it really have to have a lot of heat? What about Castor Beans? They are getting too big!

Seandor, on the other thread, uh, somewhere, you talked about the petunias being planted as babies into the hanging baskets -- that's good news! The biggest petunia seedlings I have are the Mini Navy Blue? from Hazard's greenhouse (from you). Do those trail?

Did I mention my back is killing me? I would rather stay on my chair and type this message indefinitely than get up because of the pain...now you know I am in SEVERE pain if I'd rather TYPE! :)

I sure hope Starlight got her document squared away & her electricity, or furnace, or whatever it was, fixed..she sounded like she was at her wits end. That always happens here -- 2 or three things go out at once and we are hit with three whopper bills all at once!

Suzy

Suzy,
I mean transplant them in a mix with fertilizer. Fertilising them yourself is quite risky. You'll burn them tender rootlets before you know it. I made that mistake last year and it cost me a good few babies!
Moonflower and castor beans don't like cold so must stay inside until it's really warm and sunny. Mine have become too big too, but putting them outside now would kill them. So I moved them to the living room.....

BTW, there was an open weekend of the greenhouse farmers in the neighbourhood, so that's where I went: http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/AnkeFreese/Slideshows/komindekas.swf

And we put up the tomato greenhouses, FINALLY! Was I glad we did, yesterday I could use it as a hide out when I suddenly found myself in a hailstorm while weeding.......

Thumbnail by Tuinkabouter

In the meantime seed trading in the Netherlands has become somewhat profitable. At first he was sceptic about it but now DH has great plans for Tuinkabouter's International Seed Business Ltd.!

Thumbnail by Tuinkabouter
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Illoquin - I believe the mini navy blue petunias will form small mounds covered with small navy flowers. I have LOTS of those because I want to use them as part of the edging around the "midnight" garden. I have white dwarf dahlias, and white profusion zinnias to also form part of the border (white flowers are the "stars" at midnight).

If I get a moment, I will be planting up my burgandy trailing geraniums in pots along with lavender and navy blue trailing petunias - how do you think that combination will look?

I also have several coral flowering geraniums - so maybe I will put those with purple petunias - or would that look too gaudy?

Oh, okay. Transplant them...I hate doing it when they are so small. Nothing to hang on to because all they have are the cotyledons. Thanks for all the good info!!! I am soo happy the seeds are working out financially for you...I need to figure out how to do that since the only thing with my name on it would be a big sink drain! :)

Tell me about that canal behind yo uin the picture...if you get a week of heavy rain, does it ever flood? Or do they control the height of the water that closely?

Michaela/Seandor, I didn't sow all the seed you sent, and I still have a whole lot! The seed was very good from Hazard's; if you order next year , let me know.

I think the burgundy-lavender-purple combination is good, but the coral-purple is bad. I love deep purple and scarlet, but coral is more washed out than scarlet, and the value is wrong (I think it's the value): http://www.usask.ca/education/coursework/skaalid/theory/cgdt/color.htm

Have a good day, everybody!

Suzy

Suzy, that ditch is there to prevent me from getting flooded. In this part of the world (below sea level) the height of the water is very closely watched. That's why you see those ditches everywhere!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone! I was so busy with taxes I lost you, till someone rescued me :)

Two sets of taxes down, and the work that's left is to close out my business books (doing that today) and then my taxes. I took some breaks while the weather was gorgeous and did some cleaning up, making sure nothing got heaved out of the ground, and some weeding. We finally got the reverse osmosis thing on the kitchen sink fixed, so now we have a kitchen sink again!

I'm so absolutely disgusted with the last flat of seeds I started that I could swear. They were in those square peat pots - I've never used them before - and so far a total of 5 seeds have sprouted - in almost three weeks. First break I take from the books and I'm heading to the basement to redo that, plant up a new tray, and transplant some babies that are just too big for where they are now.

I was so excited - I got some Fenugreek from Ansonfan and all of them sprouted and were doing well, and then all of a sudden they shriveled up and only one looks like it's going to pull through. I clearly don't understand Fenugreek. Ah well.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL @ Tuink's new business venture, complete with snazzy corporate plane!

Seedlings crying out to be transplanted, and too much else to do today! I'd better get hopping.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Such a nice day yesterday and DH and I both had doctor appts. We both go to this doctor and it's a 45 min drive so we always make out appts together. So we got there and they told me DH had an appt but I didn't. I was so annoyed (that's the most polite word I can think of). After I complained a LOT they finally decided to move another patient and fit me in. Bad enough I was missing my gardening time :(

I went through all of my w/s bags when I got home. Cut off the tops of the ones where the seedlings are clearly needing some AIR. Newly germinated are double-decker coneflower, pink swamp milkweed, parsley, weez's wild Alaskan goatsbeard, knautia, kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate, and (yay!) toad lily. I may be able to take some pics today.

Tuink, now that you will have this giant international seed trading corporation, you can fly over and deliver your great seeds in person LOL

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Suzy, the moon flower does need a lot of heat mine don't start really growing good until it really gets warm outside then they go nuts, I alway plant them out after the last frost but it takes a good month for them to get going.

I have to go into town today so I'll get caught up later, good to know they were just doing something on the site yesterday I was afraid I had another virus, my computer is working good today LOL Thank goodness!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Illoquin Okay - no purple with the coral ummmmm . . . . maybe I have some white flowers that will go with the coral geraniums . . .

And I have lots and lots of red salvia - so that could go with the purple petunias, right?

Dyad57 - I am happy you have a kitchen sink again. We went without one for one for two months while we were renevating our kitchen.

Critter, I am glad I am not the only one with lots of things to pot up!

Tuink - I love the jet!

Everyone else . . . haven't forgotten you, but I am in a lecture hall, and the students have just about finished their assignment, so I must get back to work ^_^

Oh my-nothing new really to comment on-have a few seeds to get sown this weekend like amaranth, poppies and veggies, but that is about the end of it-I do have some that didn't germinate that I am pretty upset about as I really wanted the-still hoping w/ a bare thread!!

seandor, I love coral and purple together...I guess we all have diff ideas for color. I also like purple and red, pink, or orange. I think purple is one of those colors that works with most colors. I just planted a purple passion vine in with my coral rose and coral honeysuckle :) I was also going to hang the mina lobata in that area.

Suzy, when should I plant the mina seeds?

Tuink, your corp jet is perfect! how did you do that?

I took the lids off our ws containers today, the next few days are getting warmer. Jasione montana seems a bit fickle, it germinated in force, today I only saw a few little sprouts left. It looks soggy, so maybe it got too wet.

Thumbnail by wind
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Reading your posts and the lists of things you have germinating makes me envious(?) Some of the plants you have started sound so exciting so I'm already making my wish list for next year. ;-)

I have been raking, tilling and cleaning out beds all day. I'm pooped I tell ya, but it's supposed to start raining soon and could last for days so I suppose I'd better get back after it.

Tata all....catch up to you next round.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm outside cleaning pots off now and I noticed that I have one cup plant starting to germinate, seems like I'm getting more excited over the weeds, as Suzy calls them, than the flowers LOL But they are for my bird garden and I'm going to try and make it more presentable this year instead of like a patch of weeds LOL

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Seandor- I agree with Suzy on no purple/coral!!
Fairy-are you waiting on datura? Cuz they really do take FOREVER, but they will germinate!
I have petunia questions, as I have not grown them from seed before.
Meredith-my petunias look quite like yours you posted on the last thread-will you pluck those out or do you leave them in th mat or do you separate them out in chunks?
Robin how did you sow your "fat and sassy" ones(as you would say!lol!) Also-I used a few peat pots and I remember why I always put them back on the shelf when I am tempted by them-THEY SUCK-they are such moisture wickers.
My back is much better today, but I'm still getting that leg ache that goes along with sciatica-still better than the back! Suzy-How is your back today?
Get this everyone-we still have a fair amount of snow and I already have poison ivy! ANswer: (cuz I'm sure you'll ask)From pruning apple trees!! Despite this setback I am still looking forward to spring!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

raining off and on all day today... didnt do much... took a nice long nap in the afternoon [i got up way too early]
WS'ed a few containers ... made a lame attempt to sort seeds [things that I may not ever sow - or want ... mostly more warm weather plants, or things i have an abundance in.

finally found the Bronze Fennel, but of course, i am currently out of big containers ... I'll have to scrounge around for milk jugs.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Kathy, the ones in the cup I plan on transplanting them in chunks. The ones in the pack are sown thickly because I find it's easier to just pinch the seeds and sprinkle when they are tiny. So that wasnt on purpose, but I have the same mind set as some others mentioned earlier, I hate thinning out seedlings, because I want them all to grow on. So my plan for those is to try to split them in half and get double the plants. But of course I will still need to thin them :o

I guess we'll be having the rain tomorrow then. I planted some lilies, planted some Calandula and some Bacelors buttons and also Felicia. I started to clump transplant, but as I was sitting on my keister, I decided to pull each and every little Felicia apart :) I planted them about an inch apart.

My back is fine as long as I don't move LOL! It is just muscle ache, and it stems form not having used my stomach muscles all winter -long .(And it shows, too!) Darn!

Diana, The Mina should be started from March to now. They won't bloom until the days start getting shorter.

I bought somehting terribly ugle today from Walgreens. I wanted to provide a link, but I they don't show it on their website. It is a poor man's verskion of this. When I say poor man's I mean the skid row version. LOL! They are NOT nice looking in the least, and my only hope is to get some plants going up them, out of them and on them to hide them as swiftly as possible.

I ma not getting these, but it's along the same idea:
http://www.kinsmangarden.com/departments.asp?dept=964

It's just little 8" pots on plastic round stakes. There are 3 and the stakes are varying heights. My idea is to get some stout wire that will hold its shape and coil it big and wide around the stake for the vines to grow up. On the short one, it would just be for the nasturtiums to sort of lean against.

I have to make little holes with Xs for the seedlings to go though on the sides, but as you've figured out, I have a lot of seedlings :))

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

WOW that side planting is gorgeous!!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Guess what happened to me today a while back on the thread I mentioned that I had found a coral bean that I threw outside because they didn't germinate for me last year....I brought it in the house, after it laying on the desk for a while I rubbed it with the fingernail file and stuck it in some H202, tonite I looked at it and it has sprouted! Such a trip, can't believe after it being outside all of this time thrown down, I don't even think they are hardy here I need to find out, but I only soaked it for 24 hours LOL

Who was wondering if honeysuckle was coming up yet, mine is just now, I was checking my raspberries to see how they were doing and saw the leaves coming threw the soil, I have no idea which one this one is I can’t wait to see it bloom :)

I’m getting some more 3” pots, my dirt guy said I could have all the pots I wanted lol I gave him a WS jug of veronica that I planted out of the seeds that were left over and told him what to do with the jug and he wanted to put it in the greenhouse so nothing would happen to it LOL It was so funny to see his reaction, I told him by fall he would have plants he could sell out of it and his face lit up LOL I gave him a few seedlings from downstairs too and he asked me if he could sell them lol He has brugs! Nothing special but that’s a start! He has tropical hibiscus too they are $29 is that high? His brugs are $29 too, he always has to show me what he has going on when I go, I just love this nursery lol He sells more annuals than perennials or he did when I first started going there a couple of years ago, I saw Suzy’s big yellow shrimp plant there and a red one too, they were about two feet tall.

Grampapa, good for you! Tell those doctors how to do there appts. right!

Robin, that’’s a shame about your Fenugreek, whatever that is I’ve never heard of it gonna have to look that one up, that’s the same way my lisanthus (sp) did last year!All of it died this year had another trade coming of it but never got it :(

Suzy, I love the idea of that planted basket like that! I'm going to have to check my walgreens out! I've got a big basket in the garage like that one in the picture, wonder what I could find around here to put it on hmmmm :) The geraniums ould look good in there.

I cleaned at least of 100 pots up outside this afternoon and looks like I have about that many to do yet! I didn't realize I had that many pots out there!

Flower, the little shrubs I got from you are doing great! The got some compost today and then I'll find a spot to plant them somewhere special! They are going to be soo pretty! I'm thinking by the drive way :)

Nelson, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi all!
Lea, I'm glad to hear your shrubs are doing well! I am jealous, because I have the same shrubs and they are still living in winter! I am just starting to see a little bare ground here and there are a bunch of rodent tunnels and holes. We have had clients that have had problems, but never here. I hope they clear out when the snow is gone.
Mere-Thanks for the petunia tips. I will take mine and chunk it up. My first pot was big, so they are well spaced, but the other two I did are jam packed!
wind-I like that coral/purple combo, but they are both muted colors. A coral geranium would be more saturated-is it a diascia, well even if it isn't diascia coral would look nice with a veronica purple because they both have a greyish tone, but I think a bright petunia and bright geranium would be garish. I bet I could be proven wrong though! LOL!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, the geraniums are actually called "salmon" so now I am not sure whether I can place them with purple or not - I do have LOTS of lavender petunias - maybe that will work better.

I have lots of red salvia. How would a box planter look with red salvia and purple petunias?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.