Weeping willow- will it grow

National City, MI(Zone 5a)

I would love to plant a weeping willow tree, but not sure if it will survive in my area, outside of the tawas's ?

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

When I lived in East Tawas, we had 3 weeping willows in our yard. Just make sure that they are not near your sepic system.. Aleta

Thank you very much Aleta for letting me know, I am so happy to hear that they do grow here.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We have one at out cottage which is on a lake near Hale Mi. which is zone 4 and it does very well.

Hi Hemlady

Thank you so much for answering me I only live 9 miles from downtown Hale which also makes me think I put down the wrong zone for myself oh well, I will figure it out

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Do you have any water nearby?
We took a cutting from a friend's willow and just stuck it in the ground by the lake and it is growing by leaps and bounds.
They do like to soak up the water.

Hope you do well with yours, good luck.

Thank you, and no cpartschick I don't have any water close by, sure wish I did, I also bet it was in a very sunny place to wasn't it

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yup, the hybred willow is growing faster than the weeping willow. Seems the deer keep the small weeper trimmed for me.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Lilac..........weeping willows or for that matter any willow trees will grow well in this area.....

Deann

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I've heard there root system can be evasive and gravitate to water....so as mentioned above keep it away from the sewers and septics....they love water!!

Oh that is right, I completely forgot about the roots seeking out the sewers and septic's . Thank you for the reminder detheo

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I planted a couple down by my pond and so far so good. That area floods in the spring and the pond overflows. It is a wetland area as I am in a flood zone. They love it here. My plan was for them to help suck up some of that water when they get big plus I think they will look pretty by the pond. Weeping willow is my husband's favorite tree. I had a pussy willow at my old house and i could cut a stick and push it in the ground and it would root and take off. Very easy to propagate. They are fast growers too.

Brenda

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

They are my favorite tree too...I wanted one sooo bad but my B-I-L talked me out of it plus they can get messy after a storm or high winds but I still love them anyways...I don't have enough property to have one...they need alot of growing space...One day I will have one though!!;o)

Brenda's the lucky one!!! ;o)

Delane

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

My brother has 3 huge willow trees planted next to an inland lake in Alpena. Very, very messy, but he always has tons of wood for his night time fires. :o)
toofew

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.