need some help

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I thought I'd post some photos in the plant files, and I'm having troubles seeing if these items already exist. Which is always why I never posted pictures before. If the item wasn't already there I have no idea how to post a new photo.

I thought i'd contribute to this since i've been here for years and never have done so before. I have some arum italicum varieties. abutilon savitzii I can't find , and don't know how to post a new pic, and if you find these, please tellme how you went about finding them instead of just posting the links to them, I need to find out how I can find them , it would make life so much easier for me LOL

arum italicum : belldene, gold rush, warburg strain
variegated walking iris. these are the ones I couldn't find, I hope I can find the rest of them LOL

columbine woodside gold, lime frost
variegated japanese butterburr
st. johns wort
virginia bluebells
sunspot heuchera
tazmanian angel acanthus
money plant
loddons pride saxifrage
dutchman's breeches
begonia madame queen
black lace elderberry
southerland gold elderberry
falopia
begenia pigsqueek

someof these may be spelled wrong, which may be why, this list just above here are all the other things I'd be posting pics of. I could probably find all these things.

When I search for something I usually do a generalized search and say if I search for abutilon savitzii I get about 50 or so abutilons and not the savitzii, does that mean it's not there? when all the others show up but not the savitzii?

thanks in advance for the help. If I can figure this out, I'll be posting a lot of photos, of my veggies and such too

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you know the Latin name (as is the case with your abutilon savitzii) the best thing to do is go to the specific search and put in the genus and species in the proper fields, then it should come up. For the ones that you know the common name for, you can also use the specific search and put the name in the common name field (it may help to only include part of the name...for example on your variegated japanese butterburr, I would start off by searching just for butterburr, then if there are a million of them I'd try japanese butterbur, etc. Many people are scared of the specific search because they think you have to know something to put in every single blank, but that's not the case, as long as you know at least one thing you can do your search (the more you know the less results you'll have to weed through though.

Here are a few tips to help you with some of the other ones...the majority of the plants on your list are fairly common so I would guess that they will be in there, but a few of the specific cultivars may be missing. I didn't actually look most of them up though...if there are some that you search for and are still not sure if they're really there post here and I'll be happy to doublecheck for you. I did look up the walking iris since you said you'd had trouble finding it, and I didn't see any variegated ones so that one probably is not there. If you want to add it to PF, you'll need to know the official name of the cultivar...hopefully it tells you on your plant tag what the cultivar is. Otherwise without knowing the cultivar name, you can't really make an entry for it.

st. johns wort There are a million different ones, you'll need to know what species you have in order to add your picture to Plant Files. But unless you have some super rare one I'm sure it's in here. Unfortunately if you don't know which species yours is, you can't add it (but you can always take your pic and post it in the ID forum, if someone there knows the species then you could add it)

tazmanian angel acanthus Spellcheck...Tasmanian

southerland gold elderberry Spellcheck: Sutherland

begenia pigsqueek Spellcheck: Bergenia (Latin name), pigsqueak (common name)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Here's the step by step way I found all of the arum italicum entries that are in PlantFiles.

Click on the Guides and Information tab

Click on PlantFiles
Scroll down until you see a green box that says "Click Here To Search For Plants" and click on it

Type Arum in the genus field

Type italicum in the species field

Click on Search

It brings up a list of the entries that are already in PlantFiles http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=arum&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=italicum&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

If the plant you are looking for is not there, you can add it this way:

Right underneath the Guides and Information tab while you are in the PlantFiles environment, there is a link that says "Add A Plant" Click on that.

Common Name: Add any common names for the plant, if none is known, put the Genus name in here (Always capitalized)

Family: Put the family name in here, if you don't know what it is, check what the family is on the other entries for that genus. (Always capitalized)

Genus: The first word in the botanical name. In this instance Arum (always capitalized)

Species: The second word in the botanical name. In this example it's italicum (never capitalized)

Cultivar: The variety name that's given to hybrids. (always capitalized)

At that point you can submit the entry by clicking on the submit button.

However, if you know the hybridizer and introduction year, it is very helpful if you fill in those fields also.

If you have any trouble, or make a mistake, just give us a holler. We are happy to help.

Joan

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the help, I so appreciate it.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's my problem with alot of searches, I have no idea what the species name and genus name is

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

How long does it take for those new additions to show up in your search? I added the new arums but they haven't showed up yet. do they have to be approved or something?

I haven't added any photos of them, can't do that till I find them in the database right?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I noticed that It won't let you submit unless all the fields are filled out. Such as the abutilon, I only know the genus, common, and cultivar is that not enough to get it listed?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

And species? for abutilon, if I don't know that, and there isn't a savitzii listed, how am I going to know that?

Ok, this is really getting too confusing for me. It's alot of work putting things in the database.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

In order to make an entry, you have to at a minimum have the name of the family and the genus and either a species or a cultivar name. If you don't know the family name, chances are there's some other plant from that genus in Plant Files, so look one of those up and see what the family is. Anything that's in the same genus has to also be in the same family. My guess is you didn't type in the family and that's why it didn't work?

I'll answer your other question too since I had it already typed out before you posted the additional questions...it sounds like you may have figured out the whole genus/species thing but in case not then read the rest of this and it may help you.

As far as the different parts of the name...if you see Latin sounding words, the genus will be the one that's listed first and it ought to have a capital letter (assuming you're getting it off of something like a plant tag...people typing in posts aren't always correct about that). And the species will be the name right after the genus and it will start with a small letter. And if there's a cultivar, it'll be in single quotes after the genus and species (or sometimes the cultivars will only have a genus name but not a species). Note that when you search for or enter cultivar names in PF though you shouldn't include the single quotes, just type the name itself.

So let's use your Sutherland gold elderberry as an example...you'll find it listed in PF as Sambucus racemosa 'Sutherland Gold' Sambucus is the genus, racemosa is the species, and 'Sutherland Gold' is the cultivar. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76829/

But with your begonia madame queen, it's listed in PF as Begonia 'Madame Queen', so it has a genus (Begonia) and a cultivar 'Madame Queen' but no species. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64007/

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I goofed...when I searched for Abutilon savitzii before, I had assumed savitzii was a species name and it's not, it's a cultivar name, and it's already in Plant Files so you can just go ahead and add your pics. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55015/ Normally the cultivar name doesn't sound Latin-ish, when it does then it can be confusing sometimes.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all thehelp ecrane & joan. I've learned alot today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images