When to Move?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have one lone iris that was here when we moved in. It's on the east side of our house and hardly gets any sun. I'd like to move it to a better location, but when is the best time to do it and what special steps do I need to make to ensure it'll survive in its new home?

Stephanie, who knows nothing about iris

South Hamilton, MA

People in the SW have said that it is too hot to move the plants during July & Aug. Either do it earlier or wait until Sept. It might not bloom this yr. if moved early, but having been there for some time it can survive a late move. When you do move it, water should be provided the first week, but don't do so for too long as that can be an invitation to rot. With luck someone more familiar with your climate will have suggestions.

Raleigh, NC

and most folks that transplant irises advise me to trim back the foliage by 1/2 to 1/3, to help keep the plant from toppling over in the wind and encourage new root growth.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks! Will wait until the fall to move it and be sure to whack it back to 1/2 of it's growth now.

Raleigh, NC

no no no - trim the leaves back to 1/2 to 2/3 after you dig it up LOL

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I meant to say that when I move it, I'll cut it back to half of its current growth, not that I'll trim it now. It's got blooms on it!

Raleigh, NC

phew - you scared me for a momen there. I could picture you whacking off the bloomstalks and then blaming me - need to keep my fingers still....

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i move mine when i need to move them. i usuaully wait till after the bloom though but have moved mine at all times of the year due to like moves and stuff. i also watch for when the stores start selling them then i move then too as i know the growers are digging them up for shipping.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.