summer vegetables in 10b

Naples, FL

We had a pretty good winter this year, and the tomatoes have so far no sign of slowing down. We have a pretty large garden, about 15 x 20, and have been very happy with winter gardening. But I am looking ahead to the very long and very hot summer here in Naples.

Does anyone have any experience with summer veggies in 10a or 10b? I don't know what I can grow?

Michael

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

okra, lima beans, southern peas, hot peppers, sweet potatoes Any veggie of African or southeast Asian heritage.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

And for fruit you can grow strawberries and all kinds of melons....I do and am right now!

Naples, FL

Thanks VERY MUCH!

Anyone tried growing tomatoes or other winter crops under light shade?

Gets to hot and the flowers will not pollinate and if some do the tomatos are deformed. I'm having that situation right now with my remaining four plants. Its not worth the time and effort to even try. How Lowes and Home Depot can sell seedlings at this time of year is unethical! All they are doing is stealing the peoples money..

What month do you plant tomato seeds? September or October?

August 15, inside, starting from seed, transplanting into 3 or 4 inch pots at thre end of September and then setting out in the garden around mid October. Should be the same for your zone...

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

msadesign- I agree with Tplant, but I did buy some tomato seeds from Tomato Growers Supply in Ft. Myers, FL that claim to be able to fair well in 96 degree days and 82 degree nights. I'm going to try them. They are Solar Fire, Solar Set, Sunmaster. They are all determinate varieties.

Bocabob

Bob -- Don't believe everything you read! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.