Broccoli

Romeoville, IL(Zone 5b)

Is it true that broccoli can be planted right now in my zone 5B? Night temps are 35+ day temps are 50+. A man at Lowes said as long as you plant as deep as they should be it does not hurt to plant most plants early.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Broccoli is very cold-hardy.

Also, the projected low temperature is not falling below 30 for the next two weeks. It should be safe to plant the broccoli, as long as you protect it from the damnrabbits!

[I set mine out earlier this week, and the next day they were gone.]

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

They like a little chill and will do very well for you in that weather. You'll probably get a much better harvest if you plant now. Broccoli is a 2 season crop and will bolt on you in the heat of summer. Do stock up on some Dipel (Bt) for the cabbage loopers. They like broccoli too. You have a less problem with that sort of thing with fall crops.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

This is good news. I thought broccoli was a cool season crop but my packaging for the seeds said to wait until after last frost. Can you tell I'm a fist timer! I will get my babies harden off for planting.

Thanks for asking this question Craigboe.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I wrote an article on growing broccoli, go to my nick and scroll down the page..The article title is "Chillin with the Coles", LOL

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Can you direct sow brocolli right now or is it better to set out plants? Nighttime lows are around 30 with daytime 44(supposed to be 53 but someone forgot to tell Mother Nature!)
Sue

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

I have a question. How big (old?) should my seedlings be before planting out? I started some broccoli and cauliflower seeds indoors a little over two weeks ago. They have first leaves and working on their seconds. They are under shop lights in my seed starting set up in my basement. I can use all the help I can get. I've yet to successfully grow broccoli and I love it.

So when can I plant them outside? How cold tolerant are they?

Thanks.

Jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.