Daylily changing color??

I moved two daylilies this spring. One was a beautiful lemon yellow and the other a bright pink lavender color. I had them in a bed of very old composted cow manure for four years. I moved them to a bed of very very good top soil. Now the yellow is a peachy yellow more peach then yellow and the other is three petals red two petals yellow. Can they change color due to ph difference??

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I have had a similar experience with my yellow and purple daylily. I gave some to a friend and hers were yellow and red. I would guess that is deffinately has something to do with the change of soil, and maybe the light conditions. Any one who knows let us in on the secret...Ihave columbine that are chaning colors too, why??

It must be soil or weather or something as my neighbor has iris that my uncle gave her and they were high priced ones and they all turned to pink!! They were all different colors when he had them. I just wish I could find why the flowers are doing this. My columbine did the same this year. Planted red/yellow and dark purple and this year they were red and the other was lavender. I didn't move them either! Happy Gardening!!!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

People thought I was crazy when I said my asiatic lilies changed color when they were moved. Guess I am not as crazy as they thought. :)

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I guess nobody here knows why things change colors. Darn. Guess God just didnt want us to be bored! Or maybe that he just wanted us to see his sense of humor...

Maybe so!! I was wondering if soil pH could have anything to do with it. A very strange thing for sure. I have a neighbor who planted about 200 iris rhizomes last year and they were many different colors. She planted them in where horses use to be. They are bloomed a real pretty pink color. Every last one of them!!!! Happy Gardening!!!

The columbine color changes I would definitely attribute to hybridizing as they are notorious for cross-pollinating & are also short-lived, so that often when you think the same plant has changed color, in reality, the parent plant died due to its short natural lifespan & what you are seeing is a self-seeded BABY plant that's sprung up almost in the same spot. The others, though, I'd have to credit pH levels to. Life's such a mystery.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Hmmmm, this could explain why the PINK African Iris I bought down in the Florida Keys bloomed PURPLE after growing in my garden for a couple of years. All this time I thought the nursery gave me the wrong plant!

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Fivekulps, Your considering God's sense of humor is wonderful. What a refreshing thought.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

5K...hey that is me, changed my name. We all could use some refreshing thoughs sometimes!

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Hi schmett

I think you hit the nail on the head, God has one heck of a sence of humor look at all of us.LOL

Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.