How can I keep rabbits out of my garden?

Woodstock, NY(Zone 5b)

I have a fence but they squeeze through. Now they've taken up residence under my garden cottage. Last spring and summer they ravaged everything. I had an electronic owl. They were probably laughing at it. I put up extra netting around special areas but they figured out how to get under or over. UGH.
I am willing to get a cat but the cat may not like rabbits. My dog (toy poodle) caught one last year and all he wanted to do was sniff it. We've already seen signs of their activity. Please help me!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd look into things like liquid fence, hot pepper wax, etc. Bunnies are small so it may be hard to keep them out, but chemical things that will make them think a predator's in the area or things that make your plants taste nasty ought to work.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Long term solution: how about a real owl? If you have some tall trees you could put a nest box up. Hardware cloth to block off the underneath access to the cottage? I'm afraid you're probably stuck with having to take a lot of little different steps to convince them they would be happier elsewhere.

Right now we're fighting gophers and squirrels, so I feel your pain. :-(

Edited to add: I had trouble with rabbits in a herb garden once and ended up planting lots of parsley, which I read they do not like. In my case it worked, so you might look for something like that and interplant. Again, it's just discouraging them.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2008 9:41 AM

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi,
I have a view fence and used to loose lot's of plants to rabbits. Finally I have decided to cover the fence with chicken wire(tied using flexible rubber ties-not plastic ones since they break in a year or so). I have not had any rabbit problem in the yard.
On a different note, I however do have a pack-rat problem!LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.