Plant Location Mapping

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I would like to start mapping the locations of my plants. Does anyone have a system that they use. I just purchased a flower perennial program. Under the plant location section - They have these uestions - Bed- Row- Plant - Misc. But I don't know how to correctly do it. I would like to know the correct way to do it - where other people would understand it.
Thanks
Debbie

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I use the paint program in Windows XP. This map locates perennials and bulbs, I'll fill in annuals as they are planted, same with self seeded plants if they're allowed for that season.
I usually make a copy at season's end before erasing the annuals for the next year; thusly, I've a garden history I can consult that goes back several years.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

j., I had never thought of using the paint program from windows before--what a great idea! And a nice easy way to keep a record from year to year. Thanks for posting it. t.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

What I do is I keep track of what bed a plant is in using my journal on here, and then I stick plant tags in the ground next to any plant that I think there's any chance I might forget the ID for. For me, mapping everything out on a computer like you're suggesting would be overkill and take way too much time, for me it's easier to just know what bed a plant is in, then tag it if necessary.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I would like your method, ecrane, if it would work for me. I just went out to look at my garden and the tags were all over the place (and I buried them). I think they heaved out of the ground right along with the plants. It was a mess! (-:

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

jmorth,
What a wonderful idea!! I think you should sell the program. It is the best I've ever seen. It is a wonderful way to map your garden.
Thanks
Debbie

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Jmorth, You did that in Windows XP Paint? Your dexterity with a mouse must be amazing!

Did you scan a map in forst, by any chance? That's what I have trouble with - -getting a map to any kind of scale that I recognize once I'm finished putting plants in.

Suzy

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

I too would be interested in knowing how to use the windows xp paint program... I have to draw a map of my moms yard so I can plan her garden. I was going to use those ancient tools called pencil and graph paper... :o) but it would be easier for me to do on a computer and then I can map what we plant where...etc (she lives 2 states away and I cant remember the names of anything in my yard! LOL)

Is it pretty easy to use the paint program, for someone with so-so computer skills (like me!)? :o)

AnjL

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Anjil, Open it up and draw 7 circles of plants and see what you think... to find the program, look under

Start button, then

Programs -> Accessories ->Paint

wow! that is pretty easy :o) at first I was using the mouse, but then I saw the pictures of the shapes :o) lots better looking than my mouse drawings :o)

I have the better homes and garden program for landscaping and it was way too hard for me and my graded yard! lol! spent many many hours trying to get it right...then pulled out the old graph paper and pencil :o)

Thanks!

AnjL

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the complements. Once one is familiar with all the tools in paint and you've set up the basic parameters, it's relatively easy and quick at day's end to amend the map with any changes or observations from that day.
In the areas not used for the actual map I've been tracking my ever expanding lily collection, a listing of perennials, annuals, bulbs, natives, tomatoes, vines, self seeders, and dates if deemed helpful.
Once working within paint, the area where working is blown up which enables the author to be quite precise in plant placement. If one so desires, it's possible to color code entries, like red for annuals, blue for bulbs...As I add the potted plants to the garden (bulbs in pots overwintered in basement), I use the shapes tool. The rectangular shapes tool is used for garden paths. The straight line tool can be adjusted for width...
Illoquin, the original proportion on graph paper was scanned in 4 years ago that delineated the space where the house, garage, fences, and doghouse are situated.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's another use:
http://davesgarden.com/tools/blog/viewimage.php?did=7768
At the beginning of most tabs there's a map to indicates where entries were, thusly connecting pictures to areas. It has evolved since then but generally remains in the ballpark, especially for perennials.

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

I have been carefully mapping out my multiple beds and then when things heat up and I'm pressed for time I forget to draw things in ... my new plan is to take pictures each month with my digital camera ... then I'll have a reference the next spring before things come up and I won't be so liable to dig up dormant plants -- I hope! That's the plan, anyway ...

Bettendorf, IA

That is GREAT!! Upon quck inspection - it appears my version of paint diesn't allow text. Also - it seems very small to work with - is there a way to enlarge?

peg, dont you have a zoom feature on paint?

I too have been taking lots of pictures as things bloom... I figure what I dont right down now... I can dig out those pictures this winter and keep myself busy documenting then...with the pix as my reference guide :o)
That is if I can stay away from the co-op forums in the winter! lolol!

AnjL

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

AnjL,

I agree with you. I don't have the patience or time or temperment to keep up with a computer program of perenials. I admire those of you that can do this.

Since I use my garden pictures as a screensaver on my computer, I see the garden all the time. I have found that this is an excellent resource because it reminds me of the color combinations that I liked and disliked. It also lets me know which plants were too close together. I had no idea last year that black eyed susans would take up so much room that they were smothering my roses by late summer, and some had to be removed.

On my own, I have a vague (very vague) idea of where things should be. That is part of the reason why I did not cut the stems of my perenials before winter (I needed to be able to find them!). That's also why I needed to wait until the bulbs began putting out growth before cleaning up the beds (I needed to find them too!) As much as I complained about it, it does work for me.

Of course, if someone want to volunter to do a perenial program for my garden, I would be open to all offers. :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I did use graph paper to map out the small front bed at my apt. I did a basic for the more prominent items like the bird bath and the centerpiece peony. I then did one for each side--one for lily placement and one for tall bearded iris placement in case the tags go missing which thanks to a large dog they did.

I also have my potted bulbs diagramed since I don't relocate them very often. I note any new additions or plantings also.

I'm going to have to play around with the paint thing. It looks pretty nifty.

jmorth....
you said you scanned in the original graph outline? then just open the document with the paint program? I'm asking because I need to design my moms garden for her...she lives 2 states away! she drew up her house and yard on graph paper.... but it would be less time consuming for me to put it into a paint program and edit as needed....

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I originally scanned it into my pictures. Then open folder and choose the paint option (icon) along the bottom. This opens the image into Paint and really enlarges it so you can really work all the detail desired. After working it, when you close it out the option to save the work or not appears. The changes are saved and it returns to My Pictures as amended.
From there I copy it each year into another folder. I then return to whats in My Pictures and go into Paint and erase all annuals. Then its ready for the next year with copies from previous years available in the other folder.

wow thanks! I'll be scanning moms layout into the program tomorrow! :o) lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.